[FT] Rangers 1 (Tavernier 116) - 1 St Johnstone (StJ win on pens)

Some  things from last night:-

1) Hagi has had many chances in team and obviously talented but not for Scottish game.

2) Second time in five days we have lost a goal in last minute---WHY?----does coaching team not coach on how to see a game out with "keep ball".

3) Why was Clark not covered at corner allowing a free header amateurish.

4) Managerial tactical substitution lacking again in order to break up play at end.

Anyway look forward to next season now and hopefully getting back to games.

Fifty seven years ago yesterday sixty thousand blue scarved fanatics, the Daily Telegraph subsequently reported, attended the Scottish Cup Final, myself and @compo among them. There was also a big number of Dundonians and a fair few non-aligned. All witnessed an entertaining spectacle with both teams studded with household names attacking to win the game. 

Yesterday I tholed ninety minutes of turgidity and gave up. In a cup tie at home against what the league table tells you is less competent opposition, a fast tempo must be set from the start. No point in daundering about with the ball and then studiously passing it backwards in relays to the goalkeeper to carefully resume the sorry process all over again. The other team gets the chance to settle in, line up the defence boxes and let time go by. I thought St Johnstone played the modern containing, frustrating game very well laced with some thuggery but not the extremes we’ve seen from dome other teams. They deserved their victory but it wasn’t worth watching and Rangers players have the talent to overcome blanket defence. They just didn’t deploy it.

The 1964 final was in my mind unbidden on several occasions last week. The euphoria had continued on the train back to Edinburgh and it was only well past Linlithgow that a wee thought occurred to me. Supposing this is the culmination of success and not the beginning of a surge to greater heights. The malign thought was quelled by hubris but we all know what happened over the next ten years. 

Is Gerrard the man to prevent something similar with his ream? Of course he is. But the players have got to play.

9 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Fifty seven years ago yesterday sixty thousand blue scarved fanatics, the Daily Telegraph subsequently reported, attended the Scottish Cup Final, myself and @compo among them. There was also a big number of Dundonians and a fair few non-aligned. All witnessed an entertaining spectacle with both teams studded with household names attacking to win the game. 

Yesterday I tholed ninety minutes of turgidity and gave up. In a cup tie at home against what the league table tells you is less competent opposition, a fast tempo must be set from the start. No point in daundering about with the ball and then studiously passing it backwards in relays to the goalkeeper to carefully resume the sorry process all over again. The other team gets the chance to settle in, line up the defence boxes and let time go by. I thought St Johnstone played the modern containing, frustrating game very well laced with some thuggery but not the extremes we’ve seen from dome other teams. They deserved their victory but it wasn’t worth watching and Rangers players have the talent to overcome blanket defence. They just didn’t deploy it.

The 1964 final was in my mind unbidden on several occasions last week. The euphoria had continued on the train back to Edinburgh and it was only well past Linlithgow that a wee thought occurred to me. Supposing this is the culmination of success and not the beginning of a surge to greater heights. The malign thought was quelled by hubris but we all know what happened over the next ten years. 

Is Gerrard the man to prevent something similar with his ream? Of course he is. But the players have got to play.

Couldn't have put it better the Kenny Cameron goal would have been fit to win any trophy 

21 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Remember it,was my first cup final  as an awestruck 14year old.

13 hours ago, Biblio said:

True to form some idiot on FF is moaning that one trophy from nine is not good enough. After the last 10 years you would think that he might have learned some perspective and realise that that one trophy, which he seems to disparage, is worth more than any of the others put together.

If you're a refugee from FF you are well out of it. Welcome to gersnet, the thinking fan's forum. 

1 minute ago, alexscottislegend said:

If you're a refugee from FF you are well out of it. Welcome to gersnet, the thinking fan's forum. 

I've never actually joined there but I sometimes read their pages. Gersnet is much better, much more intelligent comments and none of the vitriol and unpleasantness which permeates other sites.

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

It's the last minute goal that still gets me. Penalties are a lottery, but that last minute goal was very poor. To just let him stand there, unmarked... I mean, you can't miss him: he's wearing a fluorescent green top!

I would have taken the League only at the start of the season; that was the main objective. Job done. 

You have to ask who should have been marking him; can't be our back four as they had already earmarked their men. Just who exactly is meant to mark a keeper?

32 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

You have to ask who should have been marking him; can't be our back four as they had already earmarked their men. Just who exactly is meant to mark a keeper?

The centre forward. You don’t need a man up at that stage of the gsme.