[FT] Rangers 1 (Tavernier 116) - 1 St Johnstone (StJ win on pens)

At that stage it was Roofe,the man who cost us a point on Wednesday with his ego trip attempt from half way.

Suppose the only excuse for losing goal yesterday was they for once had a man advantage with all their players up.?

13 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

At that stage it was Roofe,the man who cost us a point on Wednesday with his ego trip attempt from half way.

Suppose the only excuse for losing goal yesterday was they for once had a man advantage with all their players up.?

As I said before, since we were sitting far too deep, I thought he was going for touch rugby-style near their corner flag, but got the angles wrong.

To lose a last second goal and then lose the game on penalties really does worry me, whilst we have had a fantastic season winning the 55 with weeks to spare is all well and good but we should have been on a double or even a treble with Celtic out of the running completely this season. 

The Manager and team must have a long hard look at the blockers on the cup games and start getting into the mindset that every trophy matters, as I say a great season but with some niggling doubts about the road ahead and the way we seem to capitulate to teams we should be beating in all positions on the park, St Johnstone and St Midden a case in point. 

1 hour ago, Ieatbats said:

To lose a last second goal and then lose the game on penalties really does worry me, whilst we have had a fantastic season winning the 55 with weeks to spare is all well and good but we should have been on a double or even a treble with Celtic out of the running completely this season. 

The Manager and team must have a long hard look at the blockers on the cup games and start getting into the mindset that every trophy matters, as I say a great season but with some niggling doubts about the road ahead and the way we seem to capitulate to teams we should be beating in all positions on the park, St Johnstone and St Midden a case in point. 

Have you considered that this is still a half-built team and we're at the end of a long season at home and abroad. Maybe the team, or at least parts of it, have just run their course and need a break to recharge their batteries.

Last night was just one of those games that we’ve all seen before. We’re not on top form, playing against a physical team who seem to get away with constant fouls and you can guess the rest.

As for their goal, Roofe lost the ball down near their corner - could/should have been a free kick, but I thought he would just hold on to the ball and see it out - we were brilliant at doing that earlier in the season.

Then, htf did we concede from that corner? The marking was amateur hour and while McGregor is one of our greatest ever keepers, he’s not great at commanding his area (or distribution) so that’s just one weakness that I guess we’re not going to change now. You’d still hope for something though, even if its a fist or a flap... anything tbh.

I wonder how many opposition goalkeepers can say they’ve scored at Ibrox from open play?

I’ll be honest, since we won the title, the combination of dead rubbers and international breaks have kind of made it feel like the season has been over for a while. Might just be me though. I know we’re going for the double and an undefeated league season, but once 55 was done, everything else seems like an anticlimax.

Although delighted to have won the league & another decent showing in Europe there’s no doubt this team will need three or four new faces next season, all capable of going into the starting XI.

Unfortunately I think this team peaked this season. And was too often reliant on 36 year old Steven Davis & 39 year old Alan McGregor.

That needs looked at

14 minutes ago, ascender said:

I’ll be honest, since we won the title, the combination of dead rubbers and international breaks have kind of made it feel like the season has been over for a while. Might just be me though. I know we’re going for the double and an undefeated league season, but once 55 was done, everything else seems like an anticlimax.

In the previous game against St.Johnstone, Gerrard rested about half his team with a view to the important fixture being the cup quarter-final.  In all his interviews he stressed that the focus was on winning the quarter-final against St.Johnstone.  So, for him the game was not a dead rubber but a real opportunity to progress and perhaps win the Scottish Cup.  A number of players let Gerrard down and it should be apparent to him that a few changes need to be made.  It has been evident from the past few games that Davies is our playmaker and anchor in midfield and without him I am not sure who is capable of doing a similar role. In hindsight, playing the game against St.Johnstone a few days before was actually more beneficial for them than to us because achieving a draw gave them confidence and they gained practice sitting in, pressing our back line  and going for  the quick break.