Summer Recruitment?

After defeats, I'm often left thinking about what we needed to win the game, in terms of players. With the season pretty much over, it's probably a good time to discuss our recruitment more widely. 

Defensively we look good. Okay--concentration last night was poor, but we have a very good back 5 with more than able replacements. 

In the attacking third, we had enough to win the game, but perhaps we could use another attacking player with a bit of pace? A pacey #10 or winger, maybe? We do have good forwards. I think--or perhaps hope--that Itten will get better after a season under his belt.

We'll need to replace any that leave, though.

It's funny, when we signed Zungu, most were saying that we didn't need any more central midfielders and that it was a waste of money (even if Zungu is not good enough). Last night we certainly needed it. A couple of injuries and we're lacking. Some energy in the middle would have been useful--even if just to move Aribo further forward. 

I think we could do with a box-to-box midfielder; someone in the Arfield mould.  

It's also in the middle that we can expect to lose some players too. 

A damn good striker when Morelos is good he's unplayable but to inconsistent in my opinion,  Defoe is to injury prone Roofe I have still to be impressed and Itten leaves a lot to be desired and a good half back a fetch and carry type of player to much Chuckle brothers football by our half backs all this from me to you from you to me do something creative with the ball 

It's a difficult question actually. In order of priority:

1. Centre midfield - I would love big money (if we have it) to be spent here. A strong player who can tackle but can build attacks too. Davis and Arfield will be a year older, Ryan Jack isn't available enough and when we play tough opposition Aribo seems to lack the aggression and defensive discipline we need.
  2. Striker - I think Morelos will leave so we will need to spend good money on a replacement. Roofe is like Jack, we can't rely on him being fit often enough. Itten is unproven still, particularly in terms of how much of a goalscorer he can be. I think he has shown quality in other areas of his game but we don't really know whether he can be a 20+ goal striker yet. 
  3. Attacking midfield - With Kent, Hagi, Roofe, Aribo and Wright do we need a senior player here or just reinforcements? Stewart, Jones, Barker, Middleton leaving makes space for....yougsters McPake and Kennedy?
  4. Centre back? We are well-stocked but an injury to Helander (19-20 style) would leave me a bit concerned history would repeat itself. He ended that season with 22/24 league points and only 4 league goals conceded (despite only 2/8 of those being home games). This season Balogun has improved our record without Helander, though we've still conceded 10 goals in the 15 games when he hasn't played (3 conceded after he's been subbed),  and only 6 in 24 when he has played and that includes 3/4 Celtic games and 3/4 Hibs games who have posed by far the biggest goal threat to us. Having said that, I don't think we can attract better back-ups than we already have.

So in short, a big signing in centre mid and a big signing up front (if Morelos leaves) would leave me happy (I would prefer 1 big signing in centre mid than 2 signings). Sales to any of our current starters would obviously need replaced.

Edited by DMAA

I know it's only paper talk but the guy from Ostende, Sakala, is perhaps being lined up to replace Morelos or Itten. Anyone know what the Bournemouth lad is like (Obfomor?)? And I've heard talk of an attacking mid Veerman from Herenveen. I hope we stick with the model of buying relatively young players and developing them on for a profit. Often wonder, too, why we don't do what the French and Belgian clubs do and recruit in Africa - some real gems to be found there.

I think Itten will get another season. 

Sometimes it takes players a while to get settled. 

For me, he's shown flashes of being a good striker. He's just not been able to show it with any consistency -- the so few games he's had doesn't help. 

He came off the bench to score a couple of good goals against Motherwell... what seems like years ago. And there are moments when he can receive the ball under pressure, back to goal, and rag-doll defenders with ease.  

I reckon Ofoborh is similar type of player to Kamara: A tall and imposing and laid back, defensive midfielder, but, without the technical ability and ball control of Kamara. 

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

I know it's only paper talk but the guy from Ostende, Sakala, is perhaps being lined up to replace Morelos or Itten. Anyone know what the Bournemouth lad is like (Obfomor?)? And I've heard talk of an attacking mid Veerman from Herenveen. I hope we stick with the model of buying relatively young players and developing them on for a profit. Often wonder, too, why we don't do what the French and Belgian clubs do and recruit in Africa - some real gems to be found there.

There used to be issues around work permits, I assume there still is. Unless a player was a full international and had played a certain amount of games at that level he couldn't get a work permit for the UK. France and Belgium had different rules on this. I know very little about Sakala but Wiki reports he's played 13 games for Zambia since 2017 so he's close to a first choice international and should qualify for a work permit. 

E0iy6knWUAU4oKc?format=jpg&name=small

#RangersFC are today delighted to announce that a pre-contract has been agreed with Fashion Sakala, and he will join from Belgian side KV Oostende in the summer-subject to international clearance and a work permit being received.