Team selection against Celtic

Given the number of changes made in the 2 games against St Johnstone and the outcome of both, how would you have us line up against Celtic? For whatever reason, it appears a few otherwise reliable performers have already come to the end of their season and don't look in the frame of mind to deliver what we need from them at the weekend. Will Gerrard take some bold decisions for this game? Personally, I think he should but I also think our problems at the moment are largely in midfield, where only Davis is really still performing, and I doubt if the squad has the capacity to make the changes we need.

In the past when we had won the league at a canter we would give opportunities to promising youngsters. Remember a young Fleck, Jamie Ness, Lewis McLeod to name but three? I'd like to see Leon King get on the field but SG seems reluctant to change with the exception of the exceptional Patterson. Wright should start though and I would throw in Itten against their soft central defence.

Play two strikers. Morelos and one from Defoe, Roofe, Itten. I’d start Defoe hoping his speed of thought will let him take advantage of Morelos knocking the defenders about a bit.

The opposition will have geared themselves for one man up.

Edited by Scott7

For me the key to this game is Kamara. Without Jack and Zungu, we can't afford Kamara to be as passive as he's been recently. If Kamara is at it then we probably win, otherwise we are going to struggle. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

For me the key to this game is Kamara. Without Jack and Zungu, we can't afford Kamara to be as passive as he's been recently. If Kamara is at it then we probably win, otherwise we are going to struggle. 

Add to that the defence will need to be more at it than last time as they will not be as wasteful in front of goal this time around.

If Helander is out i'd worry if we have to start with Simpson.

If ever there was an Old Firm match to make your debut in it's this one. There's nothing but pride at stake, it's the perfect match for Simpson to start if Helander is out. Everything we do now should be about getting ready for next season. 

That said unless there are injuries I expect a midfield of Davis, Kamara and Arfield and an attack of Morelos, Kent and Aribo. Maybe we'll play Roofe instead of Morelos and maybe we'll give McLoughlin a game for the experience. We've options up front but defence and midfield are down to their bones and we don't have many alternatives. 

Can't see King getting a game unless we've more injuries than we know of. Could see him make a substitute appearance before the end of the season though. 

I'd give Wright a start for hagi.   Celtic would struggle to cope with kent and aribo and Wright at the same time.   He looks up for every game to so far.  Exactly the attitude we've been lacking of late.   I'd also play itten at some part.  Roofe is losing favour with every game I see him.   

If the little I've seen of Simpson so far is anything to go by, I'd have no hesitation starting him against Celtic. He can pass, he can tackle, he has real pace and he has composure in spades. I can't see why there would be any hesitation if he's called on. Where I would hesitate is to continue with 4-3-3. If we're going to play advanced fullbacks then I think we need four in midfield. I just hope Scotty Arfield is fit again.

Edited by Bill