Respect, Disrespect and Rephrasing Dislike

1 hour ago, compo said:

Racism bigotry sectarianism I would bet that if we could fast forward a century these same ugly problems will still be rearing their ugly heads 

I reckon it'll be to a fraction of what it is today. Religious attendance is a fraction of what it was 40 years ago, for example, and society is a lot more multi-cultural, and kids are being brought up in that environment. Inter-racial relationships are relatively common. My kids' school had a head boy who was gay, which would have been unthinkable when I was at school.

Just compare the outcry on the Kamara incident to the jokes being made on radio stations on the Mark Walters racism just over 30 years ago.

What we now need is people to judge others for who they are and not have tokenism based on sex, sexual persuasion or race as we're getting at the moment. That'll take a few years yet, but it'll have moved on in 10-20 years.

Well done Rick.

Attempting to add a few drops of paint to the wide canvas of sectarianism is brave, the Curators will take note and throw another couple of tins of revisionism upon the minor changes. The Curators framed the canvas some 30-40 years past and have been adding multiple coats of primer ever since. The F term is a case in point, it is sectarian, decreed and no doubts about it. The Curators do not address New York's CSC, 'the Unrepentant F----- Bastards CSC', or former Sellik Chair's statement, "I am a proud F-----" or George Galloway's eulogy to Jimmy Wray MP, "he was a bold F----- man". It's a most particular gallery, you only get to look if you agree to look the right way. An accompanying leaflet explaining the right way is included in the price of entry.

I note today Jum Spence has Tweeted an advert for Graham Spiers latest Podcast, it's an hour of conversation between ra Bhoy in Corduroy and Jum. Of course, there's a price of entry to hear Jum's "life at BBC Scotland whilst attracting the Rangers online lynch mob". I assume I was a member of that lynch mob, I questioned Jum's demand for Rangers to be fully prosecuted, whilst being stripped of their proceeds of crime. Jum assured us on national radio, "I know this, I lectured on Law for a decade". My question to the pompous prick was, 'what crime'? BBC Scotland dispensed of Jum's services twice because on matters Rangers, he could NOT be accurate, therefore could NOT be objective.

We are still waiting on Jum to tell us the crime committed and by whom? I am sure Jum is watching the process of malicious prosecutions currently going through the Scottish courts. Talking of lynching, how about those nine members of the Green Brigade charged with Breach of the Peace after hanging two effigies from the roof of the North Stand, replete in Rangers tops and orange collarettes? On their second appearance in court, the PF announce ALL evidence had been lost, the trial was discontinued. The Justice Minister announced an official investigation. Three years and we are still waiting for the report. What will occur first, the report will be published or Jum will specify the crime committed by Rangers?

Art movements tend to disappear because they evolve into bloated nonsense. Now, both Spiers and Spence are fully qualified Lecturers in Bloated Nonsense.

"f*enian" being levelled at us as Anti-Irish racism had me on the deck laughing when they first came up with it. I only had a few semesters of Celtic language, mythology and history with a good friend, a Celtic Studies professor from the Isle of Man. A very basic knowledge of the Irish history would quickly reveal that this hysteria created by the Yahoos and their affiliated cohorts in politics and mhedia is utter rubbish. Over on our German board we have an "All you need to know about Rangers" thread and I wrote that paragraph below on that very topic ages ago.

F*enian

Let’s start off with the definition of the word in one of the world’s leading publications on the matter: James MacKillop’s - Oxford Dictionary of Celtic Mythology.

Neologism (DB, i.e. a new meaning for an older word) coined in 1804 by charlatan scholar Col. Charles Vallancey. Although apparently derived from Féni, a name for early, landed freeholders, Vallancey used it as an anglicization for fianna (DB, i.e. "warrior band"). In many 19th century writers, e.g. Sir Walter Scott, F*enian pertains to stories of Fionn mac Cumhaill. The ambiguous reference to both fianna and Fionn persists in the naming of the F*enian Cycle. In 1858 "F*enian" was adopted as an alternate name for the Irish Republican Brotherhood, a secret revolutionary society dedicated to the overthrow of English authority in Ireland. Never fully quashed, F*enian activity in the British Isles and North America peaked in 1866-7. In the 20th century "F*enian" popularly denotes Republican anti-British activity, especially in the six counties of Ulster, still part of the United Kingdom. (ODoCM, p.210)

When a Rangers supporter uses this term, s/he does not refer to anything else but the terrorist group mentioned above or their supporters. No anti-Irish sentiments or the like, as modern day press- and media folk like to impart into anything the Bluenoses sing or utter.

The Bears usually denominate the Celtic support as F*enians (much like the latter call themselves too (sic!)), as well as anyone connected to the I.R.A. which essentially is nothing but a successor of these “F*enians”. The term as such is not religious or sectarian, unless used in the context of Roman Catholics of Irish descent - which also happens. Other than common opinion, the latter is not the pre-eminent notion when common Rangers supporters address those of Celtic as F*enians. For the Celtic support revels in the traditions of the F*enian (anti-British) terrorists, glorifying their personnel and deeds in many a song. People who are responsible for the deaths of more than 1,800 British citizens. No mythical figures from Ulster`s mythology, no ancient Irish warriors or the like with a similar name, just plain and simple I.R.A. and similar terrorists.

Your post above @der Berliner is learned and in its terms no doubt accurate readily understood by well educated Germans. In Scotland, however, the word has been repurposed over many decadesto mean Catholic in a pejorative sense. 

How many times am I going to read the same points being made about the same issues, with no hope of ever reaching different conclusion? Sometimes it's just obvious that these people we complain about have us exactly where they want us ... stuck in their quagmire and unable to move on.

Give it a rest chaps. There are better battles to fight.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

How many times am I going to read the same points being made about the same issues, with no hope of ever reaching different conclusion? Sometimes it's just obvious that these people we complain about have us exactly where they want us ... stuck in their quagmire and unable to move on.

Give it a rest chaps. There are better battles to fight.

Agree that some battles are lost, but no harm in understanding and learning from it. 

There's a constant sniping at the club - scoring points or testing for weakness. I've no doubt plans are in place with us in mind - be the hate crime bill, strict liability etc. Better to be vigilant and ready. 

The problem with sectarianism in Scotland is that it’s always someone else or the other side. Never the accuser who is often masking their own prejudices.

After over half a century on this planet I came to the conclusion long ago that anti-bigots are themselves bigots, anti-fascists are themselves fascist and so on. And Scotland is infested with plenty of these individuals, especially in its media. Pondlife who make all sorts allegations but won’t debate openly when challenged. And whose mask inevitably slips when it’s Rangers and think they can spew their bile and hatred without fear of punishment from authorities who nowadays are themselves are infested with similar pondlife

And don’t get me started on the corrupt organisations that are UEFA & FIFA. Promoting anti-racism and fair play on the outside but doing all sorts grubby deals behind the scenes. Just look at Blatter and Platini at UEFA or the seven FIFA delegates arrested by Swiss police at the 65th FIFA anniversary in 2015 and you’ll know what I mean.

I’d bet one of the reasons those 12 clubs proposed the ESL (although certainly not the main one) was to get shot off UEFA. Can’t say I blame them.