What are your thoughts on Jack Simpson

This signing baffles me. I can't understand why we would sign a 24 year old center half who could not get a regular place with Bournemouth but he is good enough for Rangers and above that give him a 4 year contract. All I can think of is that he is a ball playing center half that could help against a high pressing team as this is not a strong point of our current center halves. I don't think he is good in the air and he is not the strongest tackler. Maybe Ross Wilson saw him play a stormer in one game and was impressed. I don't see him being a regular in the team at anytime apart from maybe injuries. This is only my opinion. Watch this he will have a stormer against Celtic today and I will have to eat humble pie. Time will tell

I don't care for the 'player X couldn't get a game for Y club, so he's not good enough for us' argument. 

We discussed this at the time, but Bournemouth had a settled side for several years and played in the PL. It's not really a surprise that he couldn't get a game. What's interesting is that Eddie Howe wanted to keep the lad around when they were in the PL. 

I think he's looked quite good in the little I've seen.

He looks composed on the ball and has a turn of pace, which is what we need. 

46 minutes ago, Cutchy77 said:

This signing baffles me. I can't understand why we would sign a 24 year old center half who could not get a regular place with Bournemouth but he is good enough for Rangers and above that give him a 4 year contract. All I can think of is that he is a ball playing center half that could help against a high pressing team as this is not a strong point of our current center halves. I don't think he is good in the air and he is not the strongest tackler. Maybe Ross Wilson saw him play a stormer in one game and was impressed. I don't see him being a regular in the team at anytime apart from maybe injuries. This is only my opinion. Watch this he will have a stormer against Celtic today and I will have to eat humble pie. Time will tell

This is a pointless argument. For one reason or another Glenn Kamara could not get into Dundee's starting XI and look how that turned out. 50k and 2 seasons later we have player that is worth 10 million plus in today's market.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

1 hour ago, Cutchy77 said:

Away you go. Simpson has hardly put a foot wrong when he's been in the team.

Not see enough of Simpson to be honest. His contract was running out at Bournemouth so he signed for us but if he couldn’t get a game for Bournemouth he’s got even less chance of getting a game at Rangers as long as Helander’s here

The funny thing is I read much the same expressions of doubt about every CB we've signed in the last three years. For a long time Goldson was a calamity, Helander was criticised on here as woefully slow, Katic a positional liability, Balogun couldn't pass, etc ...... sometime in the future I hope we might learn it takes time to assess a player's worth and to judge them when they leave rather than when they've just arrived.

I'm looking forward to seeing him apply himself today. I think he's looked OK - good on the ball but, understandably perhaps due to a lack of games, looks a bit unsure one on one at times.

You have to play in these games at some point so what better time than after we've secured the title.