What are your thoughts on Jack Simpson

i thought he was our best player in that first 5 minute spell when celtc were on top and stopped us going behind at that point. 

I think some of what bluedell describes was caused by his early ridiculous card. I also though it was goldson davis rescued. 

2 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

i thought he was our best player in that first 5 minute spell when celtc were on top and stopped us going behind at that point. 

I think some of what bluedell describes was caused by his early ridiculous card. I also though it was goldson davis rescued. 

It was Goldson that Davis saved but there appears to be a celebration emerging that after months of searching we've finally got our scapegoat back. And you know how dearly we cherish our scapegoats. Otherwise surely we would be cataloguing the mistakes of every player yesterday. 

Suddenly thinking a player didn't have a great game means he is a scapegoat. ? 

I guess some think we should only praise players. 

Oh, and it WAS Simpson who got turned inside out and needed Davis to make the tackle. 

2 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Oh, and it WAS Simpson who got turned inside out and needed Davis to make the tackle. 

True but it was Goldson going to ground that prompted Davis to sprint back.

Simpson looks decent enough to me.  He isn't a first pick.

6 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Simpson lost Ajer at a couple of corners, one of which caused their goal. He ended up getting taken off marking him. 

He got turned inside out by Edouard late in the first half and had to be saved by a great tackle by Davis. 

He failed to stop the cross which led to the Turnbull chance. 

He even got turned inside out by Kenny late in the game and looked decidedly dodgy every time he was one on one with an opponent. 

He looked comfortable with the ball at his feet and had a good interception in the first half but defensively I thought he was relatively poor. 

This is pretty much what I saw. To be honest I’d be concerned if he was backup to Helander, who has an unfortunate habit of picking up injuries which can cause him to miss chunks of the season. 

I tend to agree with Bluedell on Simpson's performance at the weekend. 

What I'd say in Simpson's defence is he's barely played any football. I don't even mean just this season, I mean ever. He's 24 and had only played 20 first team matches (some of them as sub) during his entire time with Bournemouth, his only other professional club. By the same age Conner Goldson had played 106 first team games albeit at a lower level. 

For me Simpson is a gamble by our scouting department. They're hoping that with development and games there's a player in there Bournemouth had yet to discover. They might well be right, only time will tell. For me Simpson is certainly behind Goldson, Helander, Balogun and Katic depending on how he recovers from his injury. Maybe even behind George Edmundson if he stays in the summer. The Rangers first team is a challenging environment to learn your trade though, we expect our 24 year old centre halves to be close to the finished article and Simpson certainly isn't that. Perhaps a run of games is all he needs to build his confidence, understanding and reading of the game, I have my doubts as to whether he'll get them with us though. 

Anyway, I refuse to criticise any of our players from Sunday's match, a 4-1 win over Celtic earns you a week off from me. 

9 minutes ago, compo said:

The boy came in did the job and did a good job more so in an old firm game the boy did very well .

.... and, frankly, that's the only worthwhile comment that needed to be made.