The Summer 2021 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

3 hours ago, Bluedell said:

On the face of it, I don't agree. We'll probably make a loss in excess of £10m this season, and I'm not sure how that's to be funded. 

Perhaps the directors/shareholders will invest further cash, but the impression I had was that they are not investing more.

Perhaps there's to be a further large cash injection that we don't know about.

However it seems to me that we needed to sell at least one player for £10m+, and I'm surprised that we haven't. Perhaps there's a gamble that we'll win the league again and earn the CL cash next season, but that's a Murray approach to running the club.

I have to presume that the directors know what they're doing but we do need additional cash from somewhere.

Yes I am at this stage of thinking as well. I have been saying all summer we needed to sell 2 players for around £10M each. 1 to pay for 20/21 loss and 1 to invest in future purchases/offset any loss in 21/22. The fact we did neither has me very concerned. The very last thing I want for our club is to return to the speculative days of the Murray regime, that will never end well. 

35 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

you are right. 

Good article on it here but certainly they will bring in cash. MY brother in law bought 3 yesterday. 

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/lionel-messi-psg-shirt-sales-transfer-how-much-money-barcelona-explained-1148091

How much do Rangers get from every Castore shirt sold? Any idea?

Ive been saying for years it makes no sense for Rangers to sign contracts  with the likes of Adidas & Nike because we’d get so little back if we’d sold 100’s of thousands

3 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

How much do Rangers get from every Castore shirt sold? Any idea?

Ive been saying for years it makes no sense for Rangers to sign contracts  with the likes of Adidas & Nike because we’d get so little back if we’d sold 100’s of thousands

no idea but we at one time produced our own and did make far more cash. 

5 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Yes I am at this stage of thinking as well. I have been saying all summer we needed to sell 2 players for around £10M each. 1 to pay for 20/21 loss and 1 to invest in future purchases/offset any loss in 21/22. The fact we did neither has me very concerned. The very last thing I want for our club is to return to the speculative days of the Murray regime, that will never end well. 

It may be if we win the league and get the CL we are fine. Though bound to be short term cash flow problems the board will need to cover. 

Of course the opposite is true. If we don't win the league we may have to sell 3 or 4 big players. 

1 minute ago, the gunslinger said:

It may be if we win the league and get the CL we are fine. Though bound to be short term cash flow problems the board will need to cover. 

Of course the opposite is true. If we don't win the league we may have to sell 3 or 4 big players. 

Thats the speculative part I dont like our entire budget and club being run on. That was how Murray done it. 

I'd rather sell the players now, balance the books, and spend what we can afford in the here and now on new players/contracts.

The first post has been updated.

For those who want a quick look, Transfermarkt provides the overview as well as the squad by position options.

The goalkeeping slot is well covered, with three main goalies and Firth as back-up, whatever his role at the club is.

We`ve got 4 primary centre-halfs, with Bassey also an option.

Each fullback position has two players, with Balogun an option for RB too.

The DM role falls unto Kamara and Jack, either of which will partner Davies, possibly Lundstram.

CM is covered with lots of utility folk who can play deep or more forward.

The front three slots (assuming we keep going with the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1) can be filled with quite a few people, as there is some versatility now. You would hope that we stop playing people out of form - or shall we say, not at 100 %. We`ve got Wright and Sakala now, so let`s use them.

Quite a lot of those who have nearly no chance to get minutes have been shifted out, and we all have to wait and see what becomes of Barker. With Stewart, Jones and Middleton away, he is one of only 3 "real" wingers left (I don`t few Hagi as a winger), even though we hardly ever used a strict winger.

All in all, we can be happy that we have kept all of our best people, let`s hope the team clicks again and keeps getting results.

NB: Kevin Nisbet will have endeared himself to the Hibs support if he - as cwoodloyal noted - had agreed a deal with us. Maybe January then.

EDIT: As cwoodloyal (ITK man) remarked, we had a deal agreed with Nisbet, but the money Hibs wanted was too much. They knocked a bid of 5m away a wee while ago. While I have heard a lot of good things about McCann, our midfield is loaded, our B-Team McCann a hot prospect ... so spending 1m on someone to be loaned out is probably not in our business model right now. Maybe next season.

Edited by der Berliner

9 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Thats the speculative part I dont like our entire budget and club being run on. That was how Murray done it. 

I'd rather sell the players now, balance the books, and spend what we can afford in the here and now on new players/contracts.

i agree largely but it does matter how you back up the speculation SDM did it with debt and other peoples money.