An Achtung, Attention Alert!

3 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Firstly, that wasn't a spontaneous protest by the neighbours. Politicians were calling for people from all over to attend.

Secondly, I don't know the rights and wrongs of the specific case, but those protesting were interrupting people going about enforcing the law. Yes, that's totally different and should, on the face of it, be condemned a lot more than people just celebrating a league win.

It was spontaneous for a lot of people, the vast majority of who had no idea they were going to take part in it when they woke up yesterday. 

I'll leave what condemnation they should get to people who want to get involved in the politics of it. I don't. But as a gathering it's entirely different to what's being spoken about happening tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

It didn't happen after Wallace stopped Stein's 10 in a row and it didn't happen after Souness won his first title

You seem to have forgotten a rather significant difference between those examples and tomorrow/this season.

4 hours ago, Frankie said:

In general I don't disagree with the thrust.

But yesterday's illegal gathering was promoted and called for by politicians and none, including Humza, have condemned it today.  In fact, most have lauded it.

As such, as correct as you are to ask fans to consider their responsibilities, one rule for one group and one rule for another just muddies the water and gives people an excuse not to follow the rules.

I'll be clear though (and I tweeted this yesterday before the Pollokshields stuff), I would ask fans to consider our own responsibilities on Saturday. The manager and players have made us all immensely proud this season at home and abroad. Celebrate as you wish and where you wish but do it with respect for yourself, the club and CV19. Be safe!

Frankie, it's not news that football supporters are treated differently by police and usually politicians. I mean I've been going to football regularly since the early 80s and it's been happening as long as I've been attending. My issue isn't whether politicians are opportunists, they are and always have been, and it isn't whether the police view 2 large groups of people differently if one of them is wearing football scarves, they clearly do and always have. My only issue is people equating two quite different gatherings of people. The gatherings when we won the league were a spontaneous outpouring of joy. They shouldn't have happened but it's entirely understandable why they did. I didn't criticise them at the time and I won't criticise them now. But what's being spoken about for tomorrow is quite different. 

Even from a pragmatic point of view we should be discouraging it. The Glasgow police were heavily criticised for not taking strong enough action last time, they might feel they need to correct that this time. A dozen young lads getting criminal records for this would be a real shame.

4 hours ago, Uilleam said:

A gathering is a gathering, irrespective of its reason, or purpose. 

The motives for a gathering would come into play only in matters of punishment. 

That's naive Billy, and you know it. 

Many were fairly happy to excuse the celebrations when we won the league, I certainly was. There was a spontaneity to it and a release of pent up tension and anticipation. This time it's different. 

4 hours ago, onevision said:

Agree with most of what you say John but come on....spontaneous?no way was that illegal gathering spontaneous, organised yes but spontaneous, no.

I'd say for a lot of people it was. Some may have been tipped off and were waiting for it, but a lot knew nothing about it until it happened. I'm not condoning it, I'm just pointing out it shouldn't be compared to what's being discussed for tomorrow. 

16 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Frankie, it's not news that football supporters are treated differently by police and usually politicians. I mean I've been going to football regularly since the early 80s and it's been happening as long as I've been attending. My issue isn't whether politicians are opportunists, they are and always have been, and it isn't whether the police view 2 large groups of people differently if one of them is wearing football scarves, they clearly do and always have. My only issue is people equating two quite different gatherings of people. The gatherings when we won the league were a spontaneous outpouring of joy. They shouldn't have happened but it's entirely understandable why they did. I didn't criticise them at the time and I won't criticise them now. But what's being spoken about for tomorrow is quite different. 

Even from a pragmatic point of view we should be discouraging it. The Glasgow police were heavily criticised for not taking strong enough action last time, they might feel they need to correct that this time. A dozen young lads getting criminal records for this would be a real shame.

You're preaching to the converted mate... ;)

I listened to a chap around the same age as me on Radio Scotland this morning. He recently lost his Mum and Dad to CV19 (both reasonably healthy people in their mid 60s) within 24 hours of each other.  A very close friend of mine lost his Grandad and his Dad (another healthy guy in his mid 60s) within a week of each other.

People can treat such stuff lightly and I'm sure the vast majority of people will be safe and sensible. But the risk is still there and it's not worth it when we can all enjoy the game in the comfort of our own home with a few pals around.

I've also no doubt the polis will be spoiling for some action this time and everyone that attends has been warned...

5 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Are we drawing an equivalence between a spontaneous protest by the neighbours of two men being removed and deported and football supporter's celebrating receiving a trophy for a league they won 2 months ago? I'm sorry but the two are simply not the same. Whatever your personal politics, like or dislike for the current government or specific politicians or your views on immigration and refugees in this country, if you're trying to draw parallels between these events it's no wonder we get trounced in the media so regularly. 

By all means ask why Thistle supporter's weren't derided for their spontaneous gathering outside Firhill when they won the league, or the various Green Brigade gatherings to worship and the tomb of Scott Brown that have taken place in recent weeks. 

As a Glaswegian who actually lives in Glasgow I'd really prefer if all Rangers supporters stayed well away from Ibrox and George Square tomorrow. Infection rates are on the rise here, there's a chance the lockdown restrictions might be stopped because of this. So please, stay at home, watch the match on TV and celebrate it with your friends and family. This is not the time for pointless political point scoring or whatever the fuck it is motivating people to consider this. 

Well said John Mc. As ever, the level headed voice of reason on here.

28 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

That's naive Billy, and you know it. 

Many were fairly happy to excuse the celebrations when we won the league, I certainly was. There was a spontaneity to it and a release of pent up tension and anticipation. This time it's different. 

It wasn't that spontaneous. Everyone knew it was happening and plans had been made by many on the assumption that we'd win the league that day. 

59 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Gie's peace, we won the title months ago. I can't remember any other time our support have gathered in George Sq to celebrate a trophy handover. It didn't happen after Wallace stopped Stein's 10 in a row and it didn't happen after Souness won his first title. There is literally no excuse for it happening tomorrow. 

The whole "look at me" culture attached to many football fans from a particular generation is perplexing.

5 hours ago, JohnMc said:

there's a chance the lockdown restrictions might be stopped because of this. 

But not yesterday's demo, or last weekend's Palestine one, or the nationalist one that took place the previous (?) week?

Maybe we do have something to demonstrate about if the SNP continue to use us as a political football? It's been proven that the chances of transmission in the open air are very small, and the worst reason for tomorrow not happening is because of the risk of the SNP using us as an excuse for their own inadequacies or their puritanical outlook on life.