An Achtung, Attention Alert!

53 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

That's naive Billy, and you know it. 

Many were fairly happy to excuse the celebrations when we won the league, I certainly was. There was a spontaneity to it and a release of pent up tension and anticipation. This time it's different. 

An "illegal gathering" is an illegal gathering, whether it is 'spontaneous', or 'organised'. 

Both represent breaches of the law, and must be treated thus. 

One may be seen as a more serious infraction than the other, but that does not free the lesser action from illegality.

The reasons for assembly are irrelevant, although they may figure in any assessment of the public interest in undertaking prosecution, the nature and extent of charges, and the sanctions imposed following establishment of guilt. 

Holy smoke, we're drowning in sanctimony here. Who knew 

Instead of the "we know what's good for you" moralising where none is due or wanted, how about just relaxing and letting people decide for themselves. Those who want to gather in George Square should do so and accept the consequences fo their actions. Those who don't can do something else. No one is being coerced into marching or gathering and no one should be dissuaded either. 

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

But not yesterday's demo, or last weekend's Palestine one, or the nationalist one that took place the previous (?) week?

Maybe we do have something to demonstrate about if the SNP continue to use us as a political football? It's been proven that the chances of transmission in the open air are very small, and the worst reason for tomorrow not happening is because of the risk of the SNP using us as an excuse for their own inadequacies or their puritanical outlook on life.

Ah now, Del, read it again please. You've taken half a sentence, read the whole paragraph please. I said there is a chance Glasgow won't come out of level 3 because of rising infection rates and so people should stay away from Ibrox and George Sq. I didn't say it was because of that gathering, or any other. 

Since I wrote that it has in fact been announced that Glasgow and Moray will now not leave Level 3 lockdown like the rest of the country. As someone affected directly by that I find it both very frustrating and more than a little concerning. 

43 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

An "illegal gathering" is an illegal gathering, whether it is 'spontaneous', or 'organised'. 

Both represent breaches of the law, and must be treated thus. 

One may be seen as a more serious infraction than the other, but that does not free the lesser action from illegality.

The reasons for assembly are irrelevant, although they may figure in any assessment of the public interest in undertaking prosecution, the nature and extent of charges, and the sanctions imposed following establishment of guilt. 

It's ironic, but Glasgow police were criticised in some quarters for not following the letter of the law when we won the league. Some wanted kettling, mass arrests, roads closed and forced dispersal. Glasgow police, sensibly I thought, pointed out that would have been disproportionate and that officers on the ground made decisions based on crowd and public safety and their feel for the mood and moment.

I'm surprised to see you're a critic of that approach. ?