The Great, the Good and the Unacceptable

A great read and sensible article so many thanks.

I look forward to getting back to games and hope the Club educate the stewards on how to handle anything obscene.

I say this because someone in and around the area where I sit in the SJ stand continuously shouts out about "****** bastards" and would like the stewards to identify him and take action,if not by themselves at least identify to the police.

This would be a good start IMO.

There's a spurious belief that society should be built on equality and some mysterious concept called "fairness". Unfortunately, actual equality doesn't exist in nature and nor should it because if it did then evolution and social progress would be impossible. Inequality is therefore a necessary and natural function of life. Fairness is really just an arbitrary description of our emotional compensation for inequality. Why is all this relevant here?

The point is rightly made that it is foolish and frustrating to expect all fans to embrace the majority compliance with current standards of behaviour, either intellectually or emotionally, and it's worth considering why that's indeed the case. In fact, it's a useful basis for dealing with people in all aspects of social life.

The graph shows a normal distribution curve, which is known to describe the distribution of intellectual ability across a human population. It shows that over 95%of all people fall within two standard deviation of mean intelligence. In a broad sense, while the top and bottom ends of this spread will be quite different, this majority generally share a common interpretation of the world and communicate effectively with each other. Where things tend to come unglued is at the extreme ends of this spectrum, with profound difficulties interpreting the world and complying with what most of us would call normal behaviour. Hence perhaps @MacK1950's neighbouring spectator. The corollary of this is that appealing to the better judgement of someone who is effectively a different intellectual species is inevitably a complete waste of time and usually leads to confrontation.

Beyond the natural diversity of intelligence, and the divergence of understanding that it leads to, overlies the absolute minefield of emotional stability. Combine the two and it's hardly rocket science to see that in any random group of people there will almost always be a few who act differently and frequently at odds with the mainstream. No matter the efforts made to achieve universal standards of behaviour among people (in this case Rangers fans) there will always be a minority who find compliance impossible and this has to be borne in mind when setting expectations and strategies. Inevitably, exclusion is the most effective response but, since people don't wear signs of their foreheads, there will inevitably continue to be an influx of similarly non-compliant individuals.

standard-normal-distribution.jpg

Personally I dont like the idea of fans criticising other "fans" sure small group of people behaved in a outrageous manner on Saturday,  but I would say that after 10 years of crap thrown at them from the press all the football authorities and just about every other club in the land not to mention the skullduggery from the eastenders then the only thing I would say to the fans if you want to fight each other do it away from prying eyes smartphones and members of the easily shocked public 

18 minutes ago, compo said:

Personally I dont like the idea of fans criticising other "fans" sure small group of people behaved in a outrageous manner on Saturday,  but I would say that after 10 years of crap thrown at them from the press all the football authorities and just about every other club in the land not to mention the skullduggery from the eastenders then the only thing I would say to the fans if you want to fight each other do it away from prying eyes smartphones and members of the easily shocked public 

It's a fair point @compo but I think experience tells us that a small number would have behaved badly anyway. I prefer the positive that so many Rangers fans behaved impeccably.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

It's a fair point @compo but I think experience tells us that a small number would have behaved badly anyway. I prefer the positive that so many Rangers fans behaved impeccably.

Of course most of the fans behaved well but how many people who misbehaved were actual fans and not just some neds using the day as an excuse for a blowout after a years incarceration by the Scottish government 

Edited by compo

2 hours ago, Bill said:

No matter the efforts made to achieve universal standards of behaviour among people (in this case Rangers fans) there will always be a minority who find compliance impossible and this has to be borne in mind when setting expectations and strategies.

All true. And I thought about not saying anything. But I saw enough to think we need to work harder here. 

On 19/05/2021 at 07:57, Frankie said:

Here’s the nightmare scenario. First game of the Champions' League we get Ibrox closed because some clown can’t handle his drink, doesn’t know where he is and opens his stupid, unthinking mouth. I don’t think anyone would find that acceptable, and yet at this moment in time it’s more likely than not at some stage soon. That aspect of the culture within the support has to change to the extent that this cannot be allowed to happen.

It would be very helpful if season ticket holders would all attend any European matches.

21 hours ago, compo said:

I don't like it much either but anything inside the stadium damages the club.

It also endangers my chances of attending European matches. I can't accept that.

Also the idea that you can reason with someone about where, or when, to have a fight is very silly indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure were to post this but some silly Billy who got carted at George square has been found guilty of breach of the peace and disorderly conduct not exactly capital charges most Saturday and Monday morning's the magistrates hand out fines for this but this bloke will be sentenced next month and will remain in custody until sentencing, talk about overkill we have sex offenders walking away with a telling off this makes no sense as we keep hearing the jails are full .

12 minutes ago, compo said:

Not sure were to post this but some silly Billy who got carted at George square has been found guilty of breach of the peace and disorderly conduct not exactly capital charges most Saturday and Monday morning's the magistrates hand out fines for this but this bloke will be sentenced next month and will remain in custody until sentencing, talk about overkill we have sex offenders walking away with a telling off this makes no sense as we keep hearing the jails are full .

I think if he is being remanded in custody, before sentencing, there might be more to any criminal record he may have.