It’s Not What You Say, It's What They Hear

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

But the power to change the people who are, to improve their schools, to broaden their horizons, to perhaps give them ambitions beyond the weekend, to deal with whatever demons they currently try and drown and to instil a pride or self worth clearly lacking in some of them doesn’t lie with Steven Gerrard or the Rangers board. It lies, quite squarely, at the feet of those elected to represent these communities; politicians. That’s ironic, because some of them have been very quick to point fingers of responsibility elsewhere this week.

Politicians don't have the power to change these things.

I don't know why so many are gripped by this silly fairy story.

It's a matter for the individuals involved and, to a lesser extent, those close to them. 

Regarding the origin of the use of the word Hun.

It may be derived from a line in the republican ballad "The Foggy Dew"

And from the plains of Royal Meath
Strong men came hurrying through
While Britannia's Huns, with their long range guns
Sailed in through the foggy dew

Them calling us Huns really started when Archer wrote that piece about the CWC Final in '72.

Football rivalry has become a problem for those who run the game nowadays, it's a deeply unpleasant sideshow and our rivalry with that lot is an extreme example, due to the religious/political nature of it.  

Do grown men really get upset about getting called a nasty name?  Surely not.  It's a pantomime and we are definitely the villain.

14 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Politicians don't have the power to change these things.

I don't know why so many are gripped by this silly fairy story.

It's a matter for the individuals involved and, to a lesser extent, those close to them. 

I think my point, poorly made as it is, was that politicians have far more power to implement societal change than football clubs do. Politicians can improve schools, indeed that's literally Humza Yousaf's job now. I agree that individuals have the ultimate power to change. 

11 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Them calling us Huns really started when Archer wrote that piece about the CWC Final in '72.

Football rivalry has become a problem for those who run the game nowadays, it's a deeply unpleasant sideshow and our rivalry with that lot is an extreme example, due to the religious/political nature of it.  

Do grown men really get upset about getting called a nasty name?  Surely not.  It's a pantomime and we are definitely the villain.

It's more the hypocrisy of it I was trying to highlight. The irony of criticising me for failing to mention something they were indulging in themselves. 

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I think my point, poorly made as it is, was that politicians have far more power to implement societal change than football clubs do. Politicians can improve schools, indeed that's literally Humza Yousaf's job now. I agree that individuals have the ultimate power to change. 

Politicians can legislate whereas football clubs can not.

I'm honestly not sure what evidence there is that politicians can improve schools.

John

I’m an avid reader though seldom poster of GersNet, but feel compelled to state that your post on last week’s events was absolutely brilliant. Heartfelt and I’m sure echoed the thoughts of many Bears out there.

I can only simply say Thanks!

Maybe we could bring in strict liability for MPs when their constituents misbehave.  Or when they actively encourage their constituents to impede UK law enforcement.

I hear Govanhill is relatively crime-ridden these days.