Helicopter Sunday - what's your memories?

Toiling at the PC - I know, the Sabbath Day, no good’ll come of it - radio commentary in the background, reconciled to runners-up and suddenly Roger Mitchell squeaks ”and Rangers have won the league, Motherwell have scored”.

Didn’t finish the PC job until the Tuesday.

Motherwell and Gordon Marshall did their best that day. Anybody who was at Easter Road, how much of a go did the Hibs give it? From the TV highlights they seemed content to just play about a bit

Edited by Scott7

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Toiling at the PC - I know, the Sabbath Day, no good’ll come of it - radio commentary in the background, reconciled to runners-up and suddenly Roger Mitchell squeaks ”and Rangers have won the league, Motherwell have scored”.

Didn’t finish the PC job until the Tuesday.

Motherwell and Gordon Marshall did their best that day. Anybody who was at Easter Road, how much of a go did the Hibs give it? From the TV highlights they seemed content to just play about a bit

Didnt they just need a 1-0 to finish in their place or qualify for Europe??

2 minutes ago, Gribz said:

Didnt they just need a 1-0 to finish in their place or qualify for Europe??

Correct. I’d forgotten that. At the same time Aberdeen were losing goals by the bucketload.

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

About a week after the game I went to see (I think) Turin Brakes, or was it Elbown anyway, at the Barras with the better half. Bumped into Jimll from Gersnet ('some of the older posters will remember him) so had a wee celebration with him! 

Funniest thing happened in the bogs tho. Walked in apart from another guy at the other end of the urinals it was empty.  Proceeded to pee and in walks a guy with a Celtic top on (yeah, at a concert). Guy at top end of urinals turns to wash his hands, songs the "McDonald's tune", I turn to wash hands and finish with "lovin it". One bemused Tim........?

Jim is a great guy. I almost got him to take me to a party in Glasgow after a game and book his car to take me up to Aberdeen after it. Fell through at the last minute ?

I was listening to our game on the radio. Didn't have Setanta. I remember getting half way down the stair coming to moan to my Dad about them winning it when I heard the roar from our end at the game. Unbelievable feeling. I still remember the minutes in between the two Motherwell goals felt like a lifetime. after all they only needed a goal.

We thought - like many that the second roar was full time at Motherwell. I have always had a soft spot for Scott McDonald since then even though he scored a winner for them against us after that!

We went down the Clyde Valley to the garden centres to avoid what we thought was the inevitable, keeping the radio off.   We were in having a coffee when a guy walked in and said "that's it Glasgow Rangers are champions".   I dived up hands in the air, shouting, to everyone's amusement.  The champagne had been in the fridge for a few weeks and was duly scoffed.  We will never forget it.

I was at Easter Road that day more in hope than expectation, and my mobile at that time had a radio in it too so as it was getting towards squeaky bum time and our game was effectively a dead rubber ( as a 1-0 win for us was enough for both teams to meet their goals and so the ball was just getting passed about the midfield with neither side committing to going forward) I was trying to hear the radio coming through from Fir Park. There had been nothing happening there either and a few false alarms had spread across the away end during that period. Then a bit of a cheer went up, I put the radio back on and with dozens of bears around me looking for confirmation I heard that Motherwellhad equalised and the place totally lost it.

It was all about the full time whistle by then and Fir Park had to be in injury time as our game was done, and another almighty roar went up and I was trying desperately to hear what was coming through and all I heard was Rangers are champions and I thought that meant it was FT at Fir Park. Cue celebrations like never before. 

It was only about 10 mins later while we were waiting on the helicopter bringing our trophy that I found out that second roar was a second goal for Motherwell.

The thing I won’t forget about that aftermath was when Hibs were doing their lap of honour for their fans to celebrate European qualification and Sunshine On Leith was blasting across the PA system, we were joining in on it too. To this day that song takes me back to Helicopter Sunday and I still get goosebumps when I hear it.

54 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

The thing I won’t forget about that aftermath was when Hibs were doing their lap of honour for their fans to celebrate European qualification and Sunshine On Leith was blasting across the PA system, we were joining in on it too. To this day that song takes me back to Helicopter Sunday and I still get goosebumps when I hear it.

Our rendition of Sunshine On Leith was superb! Quite surprising how many Hibs fans stayed and applauded us back onto the pitch.

And if I remember correctly a few Hibs players clapped us as they passed our end during their lap of honour. 

4 hours ago, CammyF said:

Our rendition of Sunshine On Leith was superb! Quite surprising how many Hibs fans stayed and applauded us back onto the pitch.

And if I remember correctly a few Hibs players clapped us as they passed our end during their lap of honour. 

Yes that matches my memory of that game too. It was quite surreal.

Compare that to the scenes at the Scottish Cup final a decade later.