DA put together arguably the highest level of team Ive ever seen - totally competed in the CL with top sides. Only Valencia who were reaching finals around then were the only team who I thought outplayed us. But we rocked up against teams like Parma (quality at the time), Leverkusen, PSV, Munich are were the better side.

Tugay, Ferguson, Van Bronkhurst, Reyna, Albertz, McCann and flashes from Kanchelskis was a frightening midfield.

Two decisions which I thought were bizarre at the time which proved ultra wrong.

1) Re-signing Craig Moore. DA obviously knew he was a centre half.

2) Saying Amato wont be a starter as an unknown Michael Mols was coming.

I see a clear difference between Advocaat the coach and the performances of the teams he managed.

Given the money he had at his disposal he would have had to be completely useless not to put a decent team together. In fact many of the players he signed went on to provide Alex McLeish with much of the success he achieved as manager.

However, while there's no doubt Advocaat was a decent manager, I never felt he got the best out of the money he spent. I thought his man management was always on the brink of conflict and there's little doubt his Dutch community created deep divisions in the dressing room and the way he treated players like Amoruso, Amato, etc was deeply regrettable. 

Rangers achieved some good things with Advocaat at the helm but nowhere near what we could and should have.

In my lifetime, I think Rangers played our best football under Advocaat - those first two seasons we looked incredible.

Given the finances available to him and his ability to bring in Dutch talent, that shouldn't be surprising and as Bill said, we probably should have done better, albeit our showings in Europe were decent.

Edited by Gonzo79

I still think had Khan not hacked Mols then we would have gone further, that was a real blow.

3rd season went off the rails with players moving on and the likes of Nerlinger coming in, the midfield just disappeared.

Advocaat's 3rd season was a bizarre shambles. The capitulation to O'Neil and the inability to transition the squad in the face of tighter finances convinced me that Advocaat was really just a good-time manager, something he went on to reinforce wherever he went. In my opinion, although McLeish undoubtedly benefited from inheriting many of Advocaat's signings, what he achieved in the face of severe financial stringency was actually far more of an achievement than anything Advocaat did.

• 1 month later...
On 26/05/2021 at 11:13, Bill said:

In my opinion, although McLeish undoubtedly benefited from inheriting many of Advocaat's signings, what he achieved in the face of severe financial stringency was actually far more of an achievement than anything Advocaat did.

McLeish doesn’t get half the praise he deserves.