Ferguson is the main threat says Kosanovic

Guest davierfc

Guest davierfc

Red Star Belgrade coach Milorad Kosanovic believes snuffing out the threat of Barry Ferguson is the key to success over Rangers.

The Serbian champions take on the Glasgow giants in the first leg of their final Champions League qualifier at Ibrox on Tuesday night with high hopes of progressing to the lucrative group stages.

Kosanovic - who replaced sacked boss Bosko Djurovski last week - has identified several danger men within the Rangers' ranks.

But he admits skipper Ferguson poses the biggest threat to his team's chances.

He said: "We have to take care of their two forwards Daniel Cousin and Jean-Claude Darcheville as well as DaMarcus Beasley.

"But especially we have to take care of Barry Ferguson.

"If we stop him then we would expect it to help our chances - but you never know."

Rangers' boss Walter Smith has admitted the change of management at Red Star means he is venturing into the unknown tomorrow night.

But Kosanovic insists he knows exactly what to expect from their hosts.

"The usual," he said. "They are going to play as they play every week, they won't change that.

"They have one style of play and everything is in order so they have no reason to change - they cannot change just for one game.

"They can maybe change some details but not their way of playing.

"It's not a boring style, it's just the way Glasgow Rangers play. They play very simple, fast, strong and beautiful.

"Yes it will be physical but that is football today. If you cannot play like this, don't play."

Kosanovic has been in charge for just one game, their goalless league opener at the weekend and he added: "I don't have a first 11 like Rangers have, we are still trying to find the way that is best for us.

"Yes this game has come a little bit too early for me."

here's hoping this game has come too soon for them i think we will need a couple of goals to go over there with just to make sure but even so I'm confident that we can beat this mob convincingly i hope :cheers:

Unlike Zeta, where I said I wanted and expected 2-0 as a minimum and that this would comfortably see us through, in the home leg of this tie I would take 1-0. I would prefer more and beleive we are capable of more. But a victory with a clean sheet puts one foot into teh CL groups as I beleive we can score over there. Would like another 2-0 though boys.

Ferguson is the main threat at the moment and Im happy they think so. But Lee McCulloch can quietly get about his job and is a threat.

We need a big performance from every player tonight - this game is massive.