European Championship 2020 (2021)

New thread started for the upcoming championship. All things Euros in here.

I dont like it being spread around, I always prefer one country to hold the event (Its almost like they knew about what was coming). Some countries have home games yet others like Wales v Switzerland being thrown out to Baku - its just bizarre.

I backed Belgium at the last World Cup - I think that was their best chance to win something. Eden Hazard is out of form and De Bruyne has the injury from in the CL final - it looks a sore one.

England look very good on paper but have a tough route.

I will have a look at the groups before Prediction the winner. I currently have a sneaky Portugal will retain it.

Edited by Gribz

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

Can’t help. I’ve got a bye to the semis.

No Your not getting away with that.

I have pitched Portugal to retain.. I think I'll stick. What a group they have - France and Germany. But Ronaldo is still electric and will beat them.

Here we go - Portugal.

3 of my top 5/6 are all in the same group and may not all get out of the group. World Champions France, European Champions Portugal and eternal big-stage favourites Germany. Mouth-watering stuff right from the group stages, i'm really looking forward to the tournament this year.

As for a winner, I think the winner will come from this group, although usual candidates Italy & Spain can sometimes come through strong when not being too hyped up, and there is always England and Belgium, although I think neither is strong enough in all areas to win.

With 4 3rd place teams also going through, it should keep all the group action and permutations interesting right to the end of the group stages, and then knock out football at international level is usually entertaining enough so I am hoping for a very pleasant tournament. 

As for our (Scotland) chances, I really cannot see us getting a point from either England or Croatia, so any chance of an historic progression as a third place side will only happen with a decent win against the Czechs in the first game. I fear we may well be out the tournament after 1 game, and lose all 3 games, perhaps even without scoring. I hope I am wrong but I cant find much to cling on to!

1 hour ago, Uilleam said:

Does anybody think that Scotland could do a Greece, and win the damned thing?

(Asking for a guy I know.)

If they play the way Greece did, then perhaps. They had no natural striker and won their games by good defensive organisation. They had no outstanding players and won a lot by 1-0.

1 hour ago, Uilleam said:

Does anybody think that Scotland could do a Greece, and win the damned thing?

(Asking for a guy I know.)

In 2004, Greece arrived in Portugal with the perfect combination. Minced lamb and beef simmered in olive oil, aubergine, tomato and, potato were added then, bayleaf, garlic, red wine and, cinnamon completed the necessary characteristic. The difference between a good Moussaka and an excellent example is the dried cinnamon. When cut in it's baking tray, it should stand in tumescent glory, no flopping to the parameters of the plate. Cinnamon supplies the stiffener.

Again, we must blame ra Sellik for the paucity of Scotland's chances. If Peter had appointed the greatest Moussaka man, Ange Postecoglou after Lenny's first tenure, he would have completed a gazilion trebles and moved on to the national job by now. I fear Steve Clarke is a flaccid Moussaka man?