European Championship 2020 (2021)

It's so predictable from Shearer and Ferdinand: Spain will have too much, because they're Spain. No awareness at all. 

I think it was the Europa League final, when the Penalties were about to be taken, Ferdinand was asked who'd win. He's says, Man Utd. He's then informed that Villarreal have won their last several penalty shoot-outs, whereas Man Utd have lost their last few. He still thinks Man Utd will win, because they're Man Utd. They did not win. 

They're thick as Sh*t. 

I was really impressed by Emma Hayes. Her tactical input was superb. It was fascinating to listen to. It wasn't just the same player-focused rubbish. She was giving us a breakdown of what the managers were doing, tactically. Too many players just don't have an awareness of this, for me. 

I was actually disappoint with Sweden. They did not play how I expected. 

I expected them to compact the space, in that narrow 4-4-2, defending aggressively in a mid to deep block, then play on the transitions, with quick vertical passing to get in behind. 

They left too much space in the first half, and then no one moved when they recovered the ball, to facilitate a decent counter. 

They did better the second half. 

Danny Murphy kept complaining about their 4-4-2, with two strikers that were 'playing too deep'. He has no awareness of the fact that's how it should be, and is, played by Sweden: they're supposed to be compacting the space and cutting off the middle of the park, to give the Spanish midfield nothing -- which they actually did quite well. It's like Southampton: their 2 strikers are deep in defence, then burst in behind when they win the ball, and their wide men tuck inside so it's a 4-2-2-2. Similar to what Sweden tried to do, with Forsberg (a quick forward), playing LM. 

Do these pundits do any research?

Anyway-- that's my punditry rant for today... :ninja:  

38 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Ferdinand was asked who'd win. He's says, Man Utd. He's then informed that Villarreal have won their last several penalty shoot-outs, whereas Man Utd have lost their last few. He still thinks Man Utd will win, because they're Man Utd. They did not win. 

They're thick as Sh*t. 

Rio Ferdinand is an ethical guide for society and a great beacon of moral standards for our times, dontchaknow.

Edited by Gonzo79

14 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Who's the female co-commentator on the Poland-Slovakia game?

Her tactical insight is great. 

A hundred times better than the usual tripe we're subjected to. 

Almost a chat-up line there, Jean-Jacques.

You might be on to something. 

Plums, likely. 

(I have this information from an impeccable, unimpeachable source)

David Marshall is keen, desperate, for a return to rasellik. Hence, to attract the attention of its new Head Coach, he went walkabout. 

Explains it all. You're welcome. 

Sweden did well last night. After ten minutes I was reckoning 4-0 Spain. After fifteen minutes I was sure it would be 0-0.

Swedish coach must have Largs medals. Absorb an early run-around without losing a goal then contain the opposition for the rest of the game. Could have nicked one on the break. That would have been the Scottish coaches’ proverbial icing on the Xmas pie, Rob.

When I mention Largs I mean the SFA’s Roxburgh college, not the beach rammy when the Vikings were sent homeward.

14 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

We will get pumped if McGregor plays. When he came on his first contribution was to give the ball away; can't tackle and can only pass sideways. How the hell he got 30 caps is incredible.

I may be biased but Gilmour has to play, he can both pass accurately sideways and forwards and can link the midfield and forwards.