European Championship 2020 (2021)

Cant abide all this crap of the English manager and media feeling sorry for the three who missed their penalties all this giving them a big hug I was always a bad loser and probably have given them a roasting then a good hard kick in the balls. 

I saw posts elsewhere describing Rashford's performance as "heroic".  He didn't touch the ball in open play and then fluffed his penalty - how on Earth is that heroic!?

Having said that, I'd be absolutely bricking it taking a penalty in that sort of situation.

47 minutes ago, compo said:

Cant abide all this crap of the English manager and media feeling sorry for the three who missed their penalties all this giving them a big hug I was always a bad loser and probably have given them a roasting then a good hard kick in the balls. 

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Vince Lombardi

11 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Italy just about deserved that though England were the better side for about forty minutes. They believed their own hype, scored too soon and thought it was all over.

If you don’t want to lose, don’t take smart alec penalties.

Unmanly scenes at the end. Why do so many young people behave like toddlers?

Over all, a disappointment.

Absolutely; Rashford's was so ridiculous I expected him to miss it. You'd think Harry Kane would have coached his mates on how to take pens.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

I saw posts elsewhere describing Rashford's performance as "heroic".  He didn't touch the ball in open play and then fluffed his penalty - how on Earth is that heroic!?

Having said that, I'd be absolutely bricking it taking a penalty in that sort of situation.

Southgate's biggest error was in allowing young Saka to take one. He should have ordered that fanny Grealish or Shaw to take one - yet apparently they declined.

10 hours ago, Biblio said:

Penalties are a bad way to lose a final but they are also a bad way to win one. Italy's last two trophies have been won on penalties.If the match was decided on points then Italy would have won quite convincingly, so I wouldn't argue against the result as such, but there must be a better way of deciding things. Personally I think that the number of players on the pitch should be reduced progressively, creating more space and allowing the match to be settled in open play, rather than a tacked on competition. There is some artificiality in that approach as well, of course, but, while it is one thing to have earlier rounds settled by penalties, it is  bit demeaning for a championship to be decided on them.

Remember when they tried the Golden Goal? That was soon abandoned. Penalties are harsh but they are assuredly not a lottery; they are a test of skill and nerve.

I've been watching footage of the carnage before, during and after last night's game at Wembley - some really good examples of human excrement at its violent and degrading worst, backed up by the usual torrent of racist abuse online. Common consent seems to be that any hope of staging another World Cup in the UK is gone after the nostalgia of some replica 1970's hooliganism. Thankfully it all seems far removed from my sedate northern existence.

Then I thought of Manchester in 2008, when I witnessed the same dregs of society practising their daily routines on the streets. Bodies comatose in the gutter, openly shooting up in the closes, fighting in the shops - all on a day I hoped to celebrate our own football achievement with my family and fellow supporters. They embarrassed me then, just as yesterday's mob must embarrass most England fans and the wider country. I draw this parallel in case anyone is tempted to  make the mistake of thinking yesterday's scenes were somehow uniquely English and an excuse to suggest national differences.

In any case, it usefully illustrates that football continues to attract a disproportionate number of boorish scumbags who I'd rather not have to rub shoulders with, ever. Sadly, I long since passed to point of hoping to see universal social decency and remain committed to a policy of segregation.