European Championship 2020 (2021)

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I thought England were poor. I don't think they had any idea how to break Germany down; it was all off-the-cuff, while being quite solid at the back, and waiting for someone to produce a piece of magic. 

England since time immemorial.

5 hours ago, Yorkie Bear said:

Yes that was pretty annoying. I know the game was not a great watch but the commentator should really concentrate on what is happening on the pitch. I thought Martin Keown was reluctant to join in with the commentator's England talk.

On commentators, I prefer the ITV coverage to the BBC. I dont know about the studio talk as I don't tend to watch that but I like Clive Tyldesley, even if he goes off at tangents some time. The stand out has to be Emma Hayes for her tactical analysis during games, something you rarely hear from the co-commentator. It's usually left up to the studio panel to say what has been happening. She tells you what is happening as it happens.

She may, but it just sounds like someone is talking all the time during the game as both commenators vie for talktime - there was no let up. 

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I thought England were poor. I don't think they had any idea how to break Germany down; it was all off-the-cuff, while being quite solid at the back, and waiting for someone to produce a piece of magic. 

Fair enough, France won the WC playing like that, and Portugal the Euros.

Horrible way to play, though. 

Germany were poor; they were looking poor coming into the tournament, to be honest.  

And that's what happened. Many games are like that i find. 

Living among the English, i find it is the media/written press that runs away with itself time and again. The average fan is just grateful they are through. I can see England getting through against Ukraine and possibly Denmark. Belgium have a couple of injuries to key players KDB and Hazard, so Italy will be confident.  

8 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

And that's what happened. Many games are like that i find. 

Yes, I agree. 

I hate it. 

It's a manager with no imagination.

It's endemic in the UK. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, I agree. 

I hate it. 

It's a manager with no imagination.

It's endemic in the UK. 

Well yes i agree and the consensus is that Southgate hasn't any imagination. I think their team would be more imaginative with two from Mount, Foden and Grealish in the team replacing Saka and having Rice as the only holding midfielder. 

6 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

We might end up being the only side England failed to score against!

It will be an even more embarrassing tournament for Scotland if that comes to be seen as an achievement