Rangers £6.75m share offering open (25p per share)

This whining about the 25p share price is fascinating but entirely pointless. It’s really quite simple. The company has offered to sell new shares at 25p each, as it’s fully entitled to do. If you think this is fair and you want to buy them then go ahead. If you don’t then keep your money in your pocket. But why would anyone say they’re unhappy with the price while also announcing their intention to buy? If you’re genuinely unhappy then step away, otherwise it just looks like attention seeking.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

This whining about the 25p share price is fascinating but entirely pointless. It’s really quite simple. The company has offered to sell new shares at 25p each, as it’s fully entitled to do. If you think this is fair and you want to buy them then go ahead. If you don’t then keep your money in your pocket. But why would anyone say they’re unhappy with the price while also announcing their intention to buy? If you’re genuinely unhappy then step away, otherwise it just looks like attention seeking.

Agreed - it's a share offering. They got in earlier with bigger budgets, that's why they're making the decisions. I don't know enough about the history to say more than something like that must have been the case. They've taken the bigger risk. The reason I think fairness comes into it is because evreyone knows this isnt an investment like Aberdeen Standard Investments, it's just basically a mechanism by which the fans can throw love in the form of money at the board. A thing is worth what you are willing to pay for it. What I've been trying to push is, if we're going to have gripes - I'm sure some legitimate - with the board then be an active rather than passive shareholder. Your holding doesn't give you clout but it gives you legal standing. We're caught in the dichotomy where, for the club, this is just a share issue - the most basic of economic transactions - whereas for the fans it's about a whole commixture of things, which is why we hear talk of fairness and other things that tend not to make sense in discussions about shares in other contexts.

Edited by bmck

45 minutes ago, bmck said:

Agreed - it's a share offering. They got in earlier with bigger budgets, that's why they're making the decisions. I don't know enough about the history to say more than something like that must have been the case. They've taken the bigger risk. The reason I think fairness comes into it is because evreyone knows this isnt an investment like Aberdeen Standard Investments, it's just basically a mechanism by which the fans can throw love in the form of money at the board. A thing is worth what you are willing to pay for it. What I've been trying to push is, if we're going to have gripes - I'm sure some legitimate - with the board then be an active rather than passive shareholder. Your holding doesn't give you clout but it gives you legal standing. We're caught in the dichotomy where, for the club, this is just a share issue - the most basic of economic transactions - whereas for the fans it's about a whole commixture of things, which is why we hear talk of fairness and other things that tend not to make sense in discussions about shares in other contexts.

It has nothing to do with fairness, whatever that is. Everyone has their own reasons for buying something and it's whatever the buyer thinks it is. However, the decision to offer shares at 25p is a matter for the directors alone, not the shareholders, current or prospective. If the existing shareholders want to dictate share offer prices then they need to pass a special resolution changing director authority. Otherwise, put up or leave the field. What shares were traded for yesterday and by whom is utterly irrelevant to this share issue and anyone who doesn't understand that would be better playing bingo.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Everything you say could apply to your whining about club 1872. I am surprised you are so upset about it here. 

6 hours ago, bmck said:

I’d make a shitty Ghandi. 

On 15/06/2021 at 18:58, bmck said:

To your first point, yes. The threshold for Directorial discretion is relatively high for a reason, but if you want to know the conditions under which it meets the threshold I'm happy to set them out for you.

As a director of over 20 companies, yes, I'd be delighted if you could tell me about directors' discretion 9_9

The directors have a duty to act in good faith as well, and I'd suggest that they haven't, given that they've issued shares to themselves at a cheaper rate than to what they presumably now think that the shares are worth.