Controversial idea

I keep on hearing we need to sell players , however given where we are financially right now , what is the best route to go down ,buy up and coming players from well known leagues , Kamara, Aribo , Balogun , Helander , etc etc and keep them in a successful team for 4 or 5 years and let them leave for a small fee , or cash in and take the risk of buying potentially better players for inflated fees ......... discuss 

3 minutes ago, rbr said:

I keep on hearing we need to sell players , however given where we are financially right now , what is the best route to go down ,buy up and coming players from well known leagues , Kamara, Aribo , Balogun , Helander , etc etc and keep them in a successful team for 4 or 5 years and let them leave for a small fee , or cash in and take the risk of buying potentially better players for inflated fees ......... discuss 

I suppose either "plan" only stretches as far as players are prepared to stay at Rangers or how much other clubs are willing to offer for our players. In reality, our plans only ever really run from year to year, since we have little actual control on who stays or who leaves. And the more successful we are, the less likely we are to retain our better players ... as this summer will surely prove.

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

I suppose either "plan" only stretches as far as players are prepared to stay at Rangers or how much other clubs are willing to offer for our players. In reality, our plans only ever really run from year to year, since we have little actual control on who stays or who leaves. And the more successful we are, the less likely we are to retain our better players ... as this summer will surely prove.

That’s actually my point , we have  the vast majority signed up bar Goldson  and Kamara , 12 months left , the rest have at least 24 months bar the older players , none have cost us serious money ........ 

If an EPL side comes in and offers a player £75k a year why on Earth would he stay here?

The board have already told us the club model - buy low, sell high.  

Edited by Gonzo79

12 hours ago, rbr said:

Has to be somewhere in the middle. We're in a unique position right now iwth SG and 55. Without winning the league again next year, all of this goes away in blink of an eye. Kamara and Aribo are only just hitting their potential now. You're absolutely right re contracts - but we need to make sure ambition isn't lost in the process, and by ambition I don't mean going beyond our trading model - I mean realising how much these players  would be worth coming from any other league than Scotland fo EFL sides. But as has been pointed out, it's largely upto the players these days. I believe in RW and most of all MB to make whomever replaces anyone worthy of that shirt. However, as has been said before, there aren't many places from which, irrespective of week to week wage, though I'm sure it hurts to be worth less than 10 mill than above it or whatever, Ibrox isn't a sidewards step. I think SG knows enough to explain that to them.  

if they are happy to stay keep them even if they go for free. Perhaps with the caveat of a really good offer coming in. 

we could sell 30 million quid of players and lose out on 45 of CL money 2 years running. 

of course we could keep them and still lose out but we can always sell at that point. 

we should only be buying players who make us better now. Build on where we are. 

All that said ultimately the finances will dictate.