42 minutes ago, compo said:

the old Hibs captain Joe  Davis

Forgot about him. Cracking good fullback with a bit of speed.

That’s good company you were in, compo. You did well to get near them to hack them down.

Just now, Scott7 said:

Forgot about him. Cracking good fullback with a bit of speed.

That’s good company you were in, compo. You did well to get near them to hack them down.

They were lucky I was in their teams

The pinnacle of my footballing career was playing full back for the lifeboys (now known as junior section of BB). Did not play alongside any greats as far as I know, but I did go to the same school at the same time as Graeme Souness

1 hour ago, compo said:

also Eric Smith

Spent one week trial at Everton played opposite Neville Southall and meet Bill Shankly.

6 month at Hamilton being picked up by Eric Smith (then manager) at the old Smillies garage on the Edinburgh Rd before chucking it when being lead astray by my good lady.

Played for a few good standard amateur teams winning the Scottish cup twice and played numerous league select sides.

Played for Tranent Juniors for 10 years, not straight 10, and had a stint at all the East Lothian Juniors. Winger converted to striker.

Had a spell at Berwick Rangers alongside Mike Galloway? until I torn knee ligament kept me out for a year and was released after that.

One boys club Scotland cap, Gordon Marshall was the keeper, made a few Scottish juvenile select teams along with the likes of Brian Rice, Gar Mackay Dave Bowman, Darren Jackson.....

Three and a half years at Fir Park Boys Club.

Signed a one year part-time contract for St Mirren whilst at University. Trained Tuesday and Thursday nights, mostly circuit, made six appearances for the Reserves. Never threatened the first team, didn't deserve to. Moved to Shettleston Juniors, signed in July, was gone by December.

The best player I shared a field with, was Bobby Graham. Motherwell had signed him from Liverpool, he had made over 100 appearances for Shankly's reds. Well farmed him out to Lanark United to improve fitness, we played a Red Hackle League Cup tie midweek at Moore Park and I was the young 18/19 year old told to man mark the on loan midfielder. He went on a continuing series of 40-50 yard shuttles in the first half. We were both subbed at half-time, he had scored two, made another two and, I was blowing out my arse. Wullie Pettigrew credits Bobby Graham with his international career.

I was fortunate to play in three national cup finals ; The Scottish Secondary Schools Shield, British Universities and Colleges Cup and, the Army Cup. I have runners-up medals from all three.

Got selected for the Scottish Borders schools team and made a few appearances, but I/we were not that great.  

Played for a local team that was in an Edinburgh boys club league, and we drew Rangers BC in the Scottish Cup one year.  Was snowing and poor conditions, which limited the damage to five nil.  A cricket score would have been on the cards otherwise.  

A couple of the lads I played with had a chance of making it.  One played for Cowdenbeath, Ayr and Alloa and is now a Solicitor Advocate.  Another was a goalie who had a trial for Coventry I believe but injury ruined his chances of going pro.  

On 17/06/2021 at 17:16, ian1964 said:

Played for Tranent Juniors for 10 years, not straight 10, and had a stint at all the East Lothian Juniors. Winger converted to striker.

Had a spell at Berwick Rangers alongside Mike Galloway? until I torn knee ligament kept me out for a year and was released after that.

One boys club Scotland cap, Gordon Marshall was the keeper, made a few Scottish juvenile select teams along with the likes of Brian Rice, Gar Mackay Dave Bowman, Darren Jackson.....

Did I ever see you grace the hallowed Newtown Park turf in Bo'ness ?‍♂️??

39 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Did I ever see you grace the hallowed Newtown Park turf in Bo'ness ?‍♂️??

Well I played there many times mate so every chance, in my time Boness were one of the top teams and a very difficult place to play, I don't think I(we) ever won there. Is the wee bookies still next to the ground?.