Joyless Generation

21 minutes ago, Bill said:

Is it worth pointing out that the response you find so interesting came after I posted those two words? Probably not. 

Sarcasm and cynicism are not endearing qualities and your two-word response suggests that you were not prepared to listen to BMCK's response and that I find disrespectful. Unless you wish to claim credit for provoking said response?

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Back on topic I have noticed groups of grown men in their thirties - and older even - hanging around supermarket car parks and suchlike playing on skateboards - it's like an epidemic of infantilism.

Get one, the're fun ;) 

It seems the Joyless Generation are seized of joy after all. Over the last few days I've received/seen so may entries on social media from my student chummies, joyously announcing to the world what degree award they've achieved (everyone now gets a mandatory 1st Class Honours degree, regardless of performance, lest anyone should feel upset). Distressingly, this has only highlighted an unfortunate personal inadequacy, as if I didn't have enough already. It seems everyone must now highlight in their social media profile which pronouns are acceptable to them - he/him, she/her, they/them, twat/wank, etc. Sadly, I must have missed the memo explaining what all these options mean and I'd hate to get it wrong and end up being invited to the wrong party. Perhaps some of Gersnet's more woke members could offer a fuller explanation of the standard choices.

I can do better than that; I received an email from the exam board I work for signed Jasmine XXXX (she/her). At least it adressed me as "Dear Mr. xxxx"

I responded with "Dear Miss/Ms/Mrs XXXX. Damned if I address her by her first name, as I hate strangers addressing me by my first name if we haven't met.

The electricity company recently had the temerity to do just that. An angry letter from me brought the response that they like to appear 'friendly.'

Well, if you want to appear friendly, just reduce my bill, or else sod off. 

A bloke called Sam Smith apparently likes to be referred to as 'their'.  The violence perpetrated on the English language is unforgiveable.