Joyless Generation

1 hour ago, Bill said:

It seems the Joyless Generation are seized of joy after all. Over the last few days I've received/seen so may entries on social media from my student chummies, joyously announcing to the world what degree award they've achieved (everyone now gets a mandatory 1st Class Honours degree, regardless of performance, lest anyone should feel upset). Distressingly, this has only highlighted an unfortunate personal inadequacy, as if I didn't have enough already. It seems everyone must now highlight in their social media profile which pronouns are acceptable to them - he/him, she/her, they/them, twat/wank, etc. Sadly, I must have missed the memo explaining what all these options mean and I'd hate to get it wrong and end up being invited to the wrong party. Perhaps some of Gersnet's more woke members could offer a fuller explanation of the standard choices.

Big four signature template demands pronouns. I forgot to update it. 

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

The violence perpetrated on the English language is unforgiveable.

Correct.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

everyone now gets a mandatory 1st Class Honours degree, regardless of performance,

That’s been going on for a while and right enough, some of them have book learning far exceeding mine. The problem is, few of those have the slightest idea how to use their knowledge outwith the groves of academe. Even fewer have a passing acquaintance with spelling and grammar. As for ducking, diving, bobbing and weaving, old 7 can run rings round them.

4 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Correct.

That’s been going on for a while and right enough, some of them have book learning far exceeding mine. The problem is, few of those have the slightest idea how to use their knowledge outwith the groves of academe. Even fewer have a passing acquaintance with spelling and grammar. As for ducking, diving, bobbing and weaving, old 7 can run rings round them.

Academic Inflation has been rampant for 25 plus years.

The very least any University should be doing is ensuring their Graduates are communicators, mean what you say, say what you mean. It's approaching 45 years since my graduation, but we were still being marked on presentation ie spelling, grammar, syntax, punctuation, .... etc, as well as content. I achieved a 2nd class Honours degree, but in my day that still ensured I was within the top third because two thirds did ordinary degrees. All these Faculties awarding Firsts just ensures more academia is necessary, because they need a Masters or a Doctorate to secure employment.

I am glad it's not me, University should be about cheap beer and decent bands playing the Union.