Today, the 220721; another three Cal-Mac vessels have been withdrawn from service due to, "technical issues". The MV Catriona, MV Isle of Cumbrae and, MV Lord of the Isles have all been hit by sourcing of spare parts issues, suspending vital services to various islands. The MV Catriona is only 6 years old whereas the Isle of Cumbrae has been in service for 45 years. The Lord of the Isles is in it's 33rd year. I suspect spare parts can be sourced for the Catriona but, the latter two are so old, de-commissioning may be the only answer?

I note the Scottish Government finally took action earlier this week, securing the loan of a freight ferry from the Liverpool-Isle of Man route. This will not be enough. 

Why are other ferry services in Scotland continuing to run without the difficulties confronting Cal-mac? The services provided by Stenna/ P and O  to Northern Ireland and the Pentland Firth ferries to Orkney and Shetland; all appear to run well? 

Finally, is it true that the RAF are providing drop-off services to both Harris and North Uist this weekend?

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

Today, the 220721; another three Cal-Mac vessels have been withdrawn from service due to, "technical issues". The MV Catriona, MV Isle of Cumbrae and, MV Lord of the Isles have all been hit by sourcing of spare parts issues, suspending vital services to various islands. The MV Catriona is only 6 years old whereas the Isle of Cumbrae has been in service for 45 years. The Lord of the Isles is in it's 33rd year. I suspect spare parts can be sourced for the Catriona but, the latter two are so old, de-commissioning may be the only answer?

I note the Scottish Government finally took action earlier this week, securing the loan of a freight ferry from the Liverpool-Isle of Man route. This will not be enough. 

Why are other ferry services in Scotland continuing to run without the difficulties confronting Cal-mac? The services provided by Stenna/ P and O  to Northern Ireland and the Pentland Firth ferries to Orkney and Shetland; all appear to run well? 

Finally, is it true that the RAF are providing drop-off services to both Harris and North Uist this weekend?

If they are, the SG are keeping very quiet about this. I think this should be investigated and headline news if so. 

The freight ferry hired by the Scottish Government, the MV Arrow was sailing from Stornoway to Ullapool last evening. A successful run was vital in relieving the mounting pressure on Cal-Mac. A vessel well regarded for numerous successful runs on it's usual Liverpool to Douglas, Isle of Man route; broke down and has been withdrawn from service for assessment. Further disruption is inevitable, the MV Arrow was supposed to improve the current situation of no space for more vehicles on ferries for three weeks.

Three-four hundred refugees on rubber boats and pedalos can cross the Channel each week, but Cal-mac cannot run an unbroken island ferry service for a week.

2 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

The freight ferry hired by the Scottish Government, the MV Arrow was sailing from Stornoway to Ullapool last evening. A successful run was vital in relieving the mounting pressure on Cal-Mac. A vessel well regarded for numerous successful runs on it's usual Liverpool to Douglas, Isle of Man route; broke down and has been withdrawn from service for assessment. Further disruption is inevitable, the MV Arrow was supposed to improve the current situation of no space for more vehicles on ferries for three weeks.

Three-four hundred refugees on rubber boats and pedalos can cross the Channel each week, but Cal-mac cannot run an unbroken island ferry service for a week.

Maybe the Scottish government should get the people smugglers to run the ferry's 

3 minutes ago, compo said:

Maybe the Scottish government should get the people smugglers to run the ferry's 

I think the kind of fees being charged for Channel dinghy crossings might be a bit steep for your average Scot.  

7 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think the kind of fees being charged for Channel dinghy crossings might be a bit steep for your average Scot.  

I am sure nasty Nicola would give them a generous subsidy with a council house thrown in as well .