Pre-Season Megathread | Rangers 2 (Sakala 54; Itten 77) - 1 Real Madrid [FT]

0-0 or not, have to admit I quite enjoyed that. We looked a step or two sharper compared to the last fortnight and a variety of players looked to have a wee bit more spark than we've seen in previous games. Tomorrow should offer a different and tougher test though.

In terms of individuals, was first & foremost delighted to see Niko Katic back & looking comfortable. Also felt Bassey, Kelly & Itten showed enough quality to suggest they can remain first team options. Vis-à-vis our strongest first XI, there will be more to come ahead of Livi.  New signings wise, very early stages for Sakala but you can see the threat he offers whilst Lundstram will definitely grow into being a vital cog in the early part of the season. In general though, it's good to have a settled squad ahead of a vital few weeks at home & in Europe.

Excited to see how we fare tomorrow.

Paterson started the match really well and for first 15 minutes was the best player on the park. I think Brighton put a man wide to stop his runs then and he was a bit quieter after that. I watch Paterson and think he should first choice right back, then Tav comes on and you see his crossing and passing and realise that Paterson still has a bit to go to match that. 

The 11 that ended the match was a lot closer to our probable first choice starting 11 than the 11 who started the match and it showed. As others have said Kelly, Paterson, Itten and Bassey did themselves no harm today, I didn't think Jones took his chance to impress either his current manager or any potential future ones. 

Brighton are a better side than any we'll face domestically this season. I know better than to read much into friendlies but I know I prefer a goalless draw to a 6-2 hammering a week before the season starts. 

What was the cryptic comment about Roofe, Barker and Aribo? Are the isolating from track and trace or have the actually caught the damn thing? Or have they simply got good old fashioned injures and I'm reading way too much into it?

14 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

What was the cryptic comment about Roofe, Barker and Aribo? Are the isolating from track and trace or have the actually caught the damn thing? Or have they simply got good old fashioned injures and I'm reading way too much into it?

I thought the same, definitely Covid related for me.

Well that was a truly awful game of football. Was there more than 2 shots on target the whole game. A prime example of what I have always said, pre-season should be entirely behind closed doors with no tv coverage. It’s all about preparation for the real stuff ahead and on that basis it was probably an excellent workout from SG perspective as we got minutes into the legs of almost all our squad and picked up no obvious injuries so a complete success on that front.

I dont expect anything different tomorrow against Real Madrid reserves but hope it all helps the manager towards Livingston next week and the CL qualification to follow, which is all that matters.

I only watched the second half but thought we looked decent enough.  Great to see Katic back in the team and Kelly, again, looked impressive.  

Wee bit worried about our striking options for the CL qualifiers, with Roofe suspended and Alfie unlikely to be up to speed.

32 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Kind of read it as isolation related but who knows.

I don't have a huge issue with club asking media to pay for access but I do have an issue with lack of clarity thereafter.