Pre-Season Megathread | Rangers 2 (Sakala 54; Itten 77) - 1 Real Madrid [FT]

18 minutes ago, Bill said:

The one thing I learned from that was how good a prospect Stephen Kelly is. 

Agreed. Comparisons to Davis, albeit obvious, worth noting. Has a bit of bite too. 

Are we all jumping on my Stephen Kelly bandwagon now? :D 

He is a good metronome, I think; good passer, controls the tempo, and is quite lively. He could be a really good player. 

He needs to get some porridge in him, though! 

On a serious note, why are our youngsters so small and slight? Compared to English youngsters, of the same age-range, our lads are tiny!

Someone like Billy Gilmour compared to someone like Reece James is scary, or even Bukayo Saka, who looks like he's bulked up this summer.

I'll always prefer technical over physicality, but they need to be able to cope at the higher level of the game. 

39 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

On a serious note, why are our youngsters so small and slight? Compared to English youngsters, of the same age-range, our lads are tiny

Good point. Centuries of repression and exploitation have turned us into a nation of shilpit wee nyaffs. In past times it didn’t matter because skill and speed could overcome the Saxon carthorses. Now these monsters have added athleticism to bulk.

It’s even more obvious on the rugby field where erstwhile lumbering props and locks hare about the park pirouetting and using deft hand-skills that Paul Daniels would have been proud of.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

He is a good metronome, I think; good passer, controls the tempo, and is quite lively. He could be a really good player. 

On a serious note, why are our youngsters so small and slight? Compared to English youngsters, of the same age-range, our lads are tiny!

Someone like Billy Gilmour compared to someone like Reece James is scary, or even Bukayo Saka, who looks like he's bulked up this summer.

I'll always prefer technical over physicality, but they need to be able to cope at the higher level of the game. 

Poor diet time to ditch the pasta and feed them up on mince and spuds with dough balls washed down with stout .

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Not quite a bandwagon to point out he slotted in well, but that’s a point I’ve never considered. You saw Mayo struggle in that department. Though the physique change can happen at different times for different people. Few were genuinely kids. They harped on about it enough, but Scott Wright does look differently scaled somewhat. 

All that said it’s probably just years of chips only diet in their genetic progenitors. All my parents could afford to eat as kids. 

Edited by bmck