Pre-Season Megathread | Rangers 2 (Sakala 54; Itten 77) - 1 Real Madrid [FT]

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Are we all jumping on my Stephen Kelly bandwagon now? :D 

He is a good metronome, I think; good passer, controls the tempo, and is quite lively. He could be a really good player. 

He needs to get some porridge in him, though! 

On a serious note, why are our youngsters so small and slight? Compared to English youngsters, of the same age-range, our lads are tiny!

Someone like Billy Gilmour compared to someone like Reece James is scary, or even Bukayo Saka, who looks like he's bulked up this summer.

I'll always prefer technical over physicality, but they need to be able to cope at the higher level of the game. 

Rousseau,

I believe Kelly is a product of Port Glasgow?

It's just a boys' game, splashing around in fever puddles, Buckie for breakfast by the optic and, your sustenance parameters are all contained on the shelves of Greggs.

Seriously, in my professional life, this topic was often raised. Recruits from inner city/industrial areas compared poorly to lads raised in more rural settings. The Dutch went from being Europe's smallest, under nourished nation in the 40s-50s-60s to being the epitome of Sparta in the 70s-80s. I worked with the Dutch Royal Marines on a number of occasions and they were superb specimens.

I served in the Netherlands and the country was then characterised by soup restaurants and fast food was mostly pickled herrings alongside pokes of chips with mayonnaise. Port Glasgow must introduce street food stalls hawking miso soup, oily fish and, freshly prepared aioli. 

21 minutes ago, bmck said:

Not quite a bandwagon to point out he slotted in well, but that’s a point I’ve never considered. You saw Mayo struggle in that department. Though the physique change can happen at different times for different people. Few were genuinely kids. They harped on about it enough, but Scott Wright does look differently scaled somewhat. 

All that said it’s probably just years of chips only diet in their genetic progenitors. All my parents could afford to eat as kids. 

I recall reading somewhere--though I forget where--that Scott Wright was put on a special training regime or diet when he signed to beef him up. 

Of course, there's natural body type, whereby individuals develop at different rates. 

However, the difference seems too common. Compare the English U21s to the Scottish U21s. The difference is staggering. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I recall reading somewhere--though I forget where--that Scott Wright was put on a special training regime or diet when he signed to beef him up. 

Of course, there's natural body type, whereby individuals develop at different rates. 

However, the difference seems too common. Compare the English U21s to the Scottish U21s. The difference is staggering. 

You’re right. They did a whole video section on it last night. 

Yeah - it is odd. I can only think it’s historic diet and genetics. Look at the Nordic countries. But for us being so close. Without wishing to be politically incorrect there’s also a greater proportion of black players in England, which by objective metrics do tend to be bigger and more muscular, which raises the median size and stature, but you’re still right.

It could also be sample size. The Venn diagram that allows intersection between talent and size may be bigger, the bigger the country. However, you think of a country like Spain. Hardly giants. 

I still think it’s the generations of principally chips and no vegetables. 

2 minutes ago, bmck said:

You’re right. They did a whole video section on it last night. 

Yeah - it is odd. I can only think it’s historic diet and genetics. Look at the Nordic countries. But for us being so close. Without wishing to be politically incorrect there’s also a greater proportion of black players in England, which by objective metrics do tend to be bigger and more muscular, which raises the median size and stature, but you’re still right.

It could also be sample size. The Venn diagram that allows intersection between talent and size may be bigger, the bigger the country. However, you think of a country like Spain. Hardly giants. 

I still think it’s the generations of principally chips and no vegetables. 

Oops! I missed that video piece... :ninja: 

I agree, but they don't have to be built like Herman Munster, just be well proportioned. The Spain first team has Ferran Torres (21) and Pedri (18) at the moment, who are not big at all, but they are quite strong and able to compete physically. OK--The Spanish U21 side will run rings around us through their superior technical ability, but they are still appear to be more developed physically, even if they are smaller. (Of course, sample size will come into that too. )

If it is diet -- or at least, a large part of it is -- then I'd like to see our Academy being more stringent and hands-on with dietary requirements with our youngsters, from a young age.  

13 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

I thought the lad, Stephen Kelly was impressive in the second half.

Good tempo, always supporting, comfortable in possession, only tackled when the move broke down and, played a couple of passes too.

I thought that too. Natural successor to Davis?

13 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Just a wee side note...the new strip is the best strip we've had in years. Everything a Rangers strip should be. Unfussy blue top with white details, plain white shorts and black & red socks.  Beautiful 

EXCEPT...it's light blue. Our traditional colour is Royal Blue - closer to Chelsea and Everton.

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

If it is diet -- or at least, a large part of it is -- then I'd like to see our Academy being more stringent and hands-on with dietary requirements with our youngsters, from a young age.  

Agreed. To use an awful bit of jargon there does seem to have been a shift in vertically integrating the whole operation since Gerrard and Beale etc came in. The players we are looking at now are pre this era. Perhaps just optimism on my part but I do suspect if they understand the importance of it for senior players - ala Wright - it’s hopefully permeating all levels. If it isn’t the introduction of the Colts will quickly show the need for it.