SNP - the madness continues

7 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Why would it be better to remove a point in the process where someone can push back on occasion?

The issue is right there.  

Perhaps if 'someone' included a body more representative of the British people, I'd be more in favour of it.  Just now it's mainly retired career politicians and people with friends in the right places, as well as the diversity and inclusion quota.  

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Perhaps if 'someone' included a body more representative of the British people, I'd be more in favour of it.  Just now it's mainly retired career politicians and people with friends in the right places, as well as the diversity and inclusion quota.  

Are you saying “representative” should mean something other than experience and judgement? Should representative mean dialect, age, dress code? How about taste in music or hairstyle? 

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

How would you get a representative second chamber?

It would have to be an election.  If we had an elected second chamber then it would likely be quite similar to the first chamber.  This would not result in scrutiny of legislation.  It would be an expensive rubber stamp.

I've just been reminded elsewhere that we don't have a second chamber in the Scottish parliament.  The Scottish government gets to do what it likes with almost zero resistance.

3 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

How would you get a representative second chamber?

We won't.  

Maybe we should add another layer, to keep check on the HoL. 'The House of Overlords'?

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

We won't.  

Maybe we should add another layer, to keep check on the HoL. 'The House of Overlords'?

Obscuring retreat in a cloud of exaggeration is never effective. ?

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Obscuring retreat in a cloud of exaggeration is never effective. ?

I think it would take some time to consider and then state how I think the second chamber, if it is to remain, should be made up.  

Quite honestly, I can't be arsed (no one would be interested and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference). 

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think it would take some time to consider and then state how I think the second chamber, if it is to remain, should be made up.  

Quite honestly, I can't be arsed (no one would be interested and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference). 

A much more orderly withdrawal. ?

52 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

This fits in with my point quite well.

Everybody finds it easy to suggest getting rid of the House of Lords or insisting that it should change.

Next to nobody is willing, and able, to articulate a better alternative.