Premier League 2021/22

On 06/10/2021 at 18:45, compo said:

It's beginning to look like the Saudi backed takeover of the magpies is about to go ahead making them a new  rich kid on the block and Mr Ashley a good deal richer .

I’d suggest Ashley lost a quite a bit at Newcastle over his time there. The problem Newcastle will have, regardless if who owns them, is that the best players in the world don’t want to live in Geordieland

27 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

I’d suggest Ashley lost a quite a bit at Newcastle over his time there. The problem Newcastle will have, regardless if who owns them, is that the best players in the world don’t want to live in Geordieland

There's some nice places just outside Newcastle just within an hours travel it's not all woman with hairy chests ?

The Arabs say they are in for the lo g haul at Newcastle all this talk about a new manager is all I hear ,why dont they stick with Bruce he's had to do the jo  on a poundland budget come the transfer window let him buy some decent players and take it from there .

Bruce was a first class player at Norwich and one of the first on the team sheet at United, every club he's managed have always been struggling financially, so I would give him his chance  .

An interesting proposition and I would like to see the theory tested, not out of admiration for Bruce, just to find out if cash is the only difference between the general jobbers and the mystical gurus.

Would you take him in a swop for Gerrard? 

11 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

An interesting proposition and I would like to see the theory tested, not out of admiration for Bruce, just to find out if cash is the only difference between the general jobbers and the mystical gurus.

Would you take him in a swop for Gerrard? 

I'm firmly in the 'Bruce is a dinosaur' camp. That swap would give me nightmares. 

Ranieri did little with Chelsea after spending a lot of money; Mark Hughes did nothing with Man City after spending a lot of money. 

It does, maybe, suggest you need that man to improve the general squad by spending money, but then you need someone else to make the difference?

27 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

you need someone else to make the difference?

Jock Stein transformed a team of losing donkeys into what became a nightmare. In his first season he got Simpson on a free and bought Clark from Morton. Next season they won the ……. sorry I can’t go on. I have to take something to dull the memory.

2 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Jock Stein transformed a team of losing donkeys into what became a nightmare. In his first season he got Simpson on a free and bought Clark from Morton. Next season they won the ……. sorry I can’t go on. I have to take something to dull the memory.

There are many instances of managers transforming a bunch of donkeys into world-beaters, but I was specifically talking about clubs that had a sudden injection of cash, as per your post. 

I suppose Stein and to a lesser extent, Shankly in his early years, showed that transformation can happen without mega bucks. The Souness/Walter combination illustrates the cash injection brings success model.

However it comes about, once the transformation occurs big money is needed to keep it going.