Xenophobia and kettles

I opened this thread thinking it would be a denunciation of James Watt, and an invocation to cancel the steam engine. 

I found that it was a lot of shite about cheap domestic appliances. 

I bought a shiny black plastic kettle in ASDA, few years ago, for a tenner, and it works fine.

My advice is that, if you need any kitchen equipment which you plug in to the mains, do invest double figures. 

Edited by Uilleam

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

Since 'twas I who first raised the issue, allow me to expand:

I have had a series of electrical goods - not just kettles, but space heaters too, in recent years which have been purchased from local supermarkets. Every one of them has blown up - as in fused, or in one case, caught fire. Common denominator is they were all made in China. My house was re-wired not too long ago so nowt wrong with my wiring. What would need to change? Well, maybe face mask manufacturers (a cottage industry in the main) could be given some help to 'diversify' as they say nowadays.

I am not a Sinophobe but wouldn't mind a kettle which works.

Not too much to ask, surely?

The reliable ones that work are also made in China. You just need to be able to tell them from the trash. We used to make plenty shit kettles here too

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm a little teapot,
Short and stout,
Here is my handle
Here is my spout
When I get all steamed up,
Hear me shout,
Tip me over and pour me out!

Oh, I love a bit of His Bobness.

Pure Boabery, a Dylan lyric and no mistake' Just as long as he doesn't sing it.

3 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

And I have neither. Silly me for not being wealthy enough. 

I never knew access to a £60 gas hob or a £150 gas cooker was a privilege restricted only to the wealthy, everyday is a school day :facepalm:

21 hours ago, forlanssister said:

I never knew access to a £60 gas hob or a £150 gas cooker was a privilege restricted only to the wealthy, everyday is a school day :facepalm:

You sir have a device that produces boiling water instantly,  a valved pipework gizmo that was purchased and installed at huge expense,  all because you couldn't be arsed waiting 3 minutes for a Chinese kettle to calorify your tea bag bath.

Furthermore, last time I was exposed to your Tea Bags, I didn't know whether to phone Environmental Health or the British Museum

I'm probably cursed like Howard Carter for disturbing their afterlife.

Edited by gaspard