Rangers Shirt Sales

I used to be reluctant to fork out money for the fairground tat that used to line the shelves of Rangers shops. While not perfect, the improvement in quality of Castore products has been huge and I absolutely can't understand the continuing negativity from a small section of the fanbase. Don't like it, don't by it, but stop running down what has by any measure been a good move to contract with Castore.

21 minutes ago, Bill said:

I used to be reluctant to fork out money for the fairground tat that used to line the shelves of Rangers shops. While not perfect, the improvement in quality of Castore products has been huge and I absolutely can't understand the continuing negativity from a small section of the fanbase. Don't like it, don't by it, but stop running down what has by any measure been a good move to contract with Castore.

While I accept that from a quality of product angle, it is better than the last decade of utter gash under Ashley's mucky paws. But my point is that Castore is a small fish in a small pond, and think how much more reach we could have with either Adidas or Nike, both of whom have also served us very well in the past when our retail was the best in the UK (or perhaps 2nd only to Man U - I cant recall exactly). If you have Adidas or Nike, you get into their stores worldwide and become even more recognisable as a brand worldwide. Castore is just not going to do that.

So while Castore is a million times better than our strips from the last decade, they simply cannot be compared to the big boys.

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

While I accept that from a quality of product angle, it is better than the last decade of utter gash under Ashley's mucky paws. But my point is that Castore is a small fish in a small pond, and think how much more reach we could have with either Adidas or Nike, both of whom have also served us very well in the past when our retail was the best in the UK (or perhaps 2nd only to Man U - I cant recall exactly). If you have Adidas or Nike, you get into their stores worldwide and become even more recognisable as a brand worldwide. Castore is just not going to do that.

So while Castore is a million times better than our strips from the last decade, they simply cannot be compared to the big boys.

Castore offered us the best terms as far as I know. It was between them & Puma.

1 minute ago, RANGERRAB said:

Castore offered us the best terms as far as I know. It was between them & Puma.

I agree with that entirely. The alternative (Puma and by default Ashley) was far far worse. My hope is that with the type of numbers we are posting, our continuing return to financial health and domestic and (for us at least) European success and increased profile means that when this contract is up for renewal we can go with either Adidas or Nike. I think that will move us on a stage further again and boost our coffers even more, which is ultimately what it is all about.

9 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I agree with that entirely. The alternative (Puma and by default Ashley) was far far worse. My hope is that with the type of numbers we are posting, our continuing return to financial health and domestic and (for us at least) European success and increased profile means that when this contract is up for renewal we can go with either Adidas or Nike. I think that will move us on a stage further again and boost our coffers even more, which is ultimately what it is all about.

Having seen the abominations Nike have created for Barca, Inter and Spurs for the forthcoming season, I wouldn't want them anywhere near a Rangers strip.

5 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Not sure Puma would be Ashley anymore. I think he had a smallish shareholding in them but not sure if that’s still the case. Newcastle have ditched Puma for Castore starting this season I believe. 
Puma are the 3rd largest sportswear manufacturer in the world behind Nike & Adidas AFAIK. So we are noticed by the big guns

But you’re right these sales figures could reignite Adidas & Nike’s interest in us

16 hours ago, Bill said:

From what I can see, the Castore deal was a brilliant decision by Rangers' commercial team.

In respect if kit sales that would appear to be the case, however there's much more than strips to be considered when evaluating a retail deal.

Visit the club shop and you will see a large range of Rangers/Castore technical sports apparel and a few products with just the castore branding.

All high priced and hopefully producing a very good margin for both parties.

But where's all the other stuff? The sundry items, fancy goods, jewelry, knitwear,  casual clothing and niknacks?

You can still buy all these things, in the gers store online, operated by Elite our former partner,  but whats the current relationship?

I had a look in the official city centre shop last weekend and tbh there was nothing on the shelves at all for somebody my age and bmi. 

Income lost. 

Not everyone can afford £50 for a polo or £30 for a tee. The club told us there would be a variety of ranges to suit all budgets and this simply hasn't happened. 

If Castore can only provide high end, high price, high margin sports kit, then the club should negotiate a separate contract with a provider that can fill the glaring gaps in our retail potential. 

Was down at the superstore yesterday , with our old pal Brahimhemdani, who says hello to you all , as stated above everything is club related and all is sponsor branded , there is no leisure wear and no castore items at all .

I spoke to one of the girls that work there and she said that they are expecting more stuff in the next couple of weeks , which should increase choice , as fir the quality it certainly looks and feels much better than last year .