[FT] Dundee Utd 1 - 0 Rangers

3 hours ago, craig said:

We averaged 2.5 goals a game last season yet we didn’t “blow teams apart” ?

They aren’t all defensive midfielders either.  Davis and Kamara are both more than capable of defense splitting passes and getting up in support of the strikers - I guess Davis scored from the halfway line the other night seeing as he’s a defensive midfielder ?

So we are down to the bare bones of stats now? You saw the line up today and thought that would be enough for Dundee United then?

Before the game I wrote:

As with previous seasons, you look at the line-up and see lots of workers, but the lethal, goalscoring bit, will again rests on the shoulders of a single striker and the hope that Aribo and Kent provide an end product to their work. There`s a reason we "only" won 11 league games by 1 goal, 6 more by 2 goals and drawing 6 more. I know it is lamenting on a high level, but the stats remain and we all remember these dire affairs of teams sitting deep and we toil along to break them up.

Not sure whether some people`s memories are short, but today was exactly as those games mentioned above, dire affairs of toil. Quite a few of those 1-goal-wins happened when we brought a 2nd striker on. Yes, when we started the scoring early and teams opened up, we occasionally beat them handsomely, that 8-0 vs Hamilton will have blown the stat up a bit too. But help yourself to the game threads of last season and much of those will include "job done, no more no less". No smug comments will change that, nor will they help us improve games against Scottish opposition.

17 minutes ago, compo said:

Need to improve and improve soon or we could be out of European competition and missing out on some handsome money .

With the squad so unsettled and too many key players clearly distracted, it's stretching the imagination to see us reaching the CL group stages. If we can't show more guile and endeavour than in the last 2 games then Tuesday will likely be a further disappointment. We've seen this slow-start movie many times in the past.

Hate to be the harbinger of doom but the last few games have followed many of our games in the second half of last season. There were many games at the start of 2021 were we genuinely struggled to create chances. It is worrying. Oh and I agree with regards the make up of our midfield. If Lumstrom and Davies are playing together, Kamara has to move forward and be more constructive. It's clear now why we were looking at the Dutch boy.

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

I actually thought Lundstram would be that link player between defence and attack, breaking the lines, getting into the box.

Maybe he's just taking time to get settled? 

It took Ryan Jack and Connor Goldson a year to settle. Maybe expecting Lundstram to do so in a month is unrealistic.

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

I actually thought Lundstram would be that link player between defence and attack, breaking the lines, getting into the box.

Maybe he's just taking time to get settled? 

He’s supposed to be, his stats at SU showed that he was very weak defensively but pretty good going forward. To me he looks very unfit and I don’t really know what his excuse is, and I find it a bit concerning that SU fans complained at how lazy he was all of last season, some players do lose a bit of their fitness/energy earlier in their career than others, I hope that isn’t happening with Lundstram.