7 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Bill’s right. Not just Glasgow but wee country towns as well. No real shops on the High Street and idle oafs hanging about. Even the bookies and some of the ‘phone shops have gone. Just Nail Bars and Lash Bars. What’s a Lash Bar? I was too embarrassed to stop and look in the window for fear it might be something unsuitable.

Time for people to stop bemoaning the decline of the high street.

People should have accepted the impact of online commerce a long time ago.

Why do we need 'real' shops on the high street?

7 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

There's tons of similar ghost towns in England as well I can asssure you. But no shortage of Turkish barbers - I have a suspicion they are fronts for drugs; nobody needs that amount of Turkish barbering.

Did you ever witness the sale of drugs in a Turkish barber?

If not then where does this idea come from?

5 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Yes maybe I am. But my point is really that we don't need this amount of services. I'd rather that BHS, Debenhams etc. hadn't gone to the dogs, while inferior brands like Primark proliferate.

Wait a second!

Are you, by any chance, ignorant of the market economy?

English towns and cities are similarly run down, with identical problems.  

I'm not sure most inhabitants of British places give a shit what their high street looks like.  

Authorities and civilians are to blame.  

Regarding graffiti, in a previous job I had to deal with complaints and there was one bloke who complained every week about graffiti on a particular building (it annoyed him when he was walking his dog).  Whenever we cleaned it up, it was back up within a couple of days.  

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

It’s not the decline of traditional shops that concerns me, that has been coming for many years. The problem is the unwillingness to re-purpose town centres from retail to other roles - leisure, residential, professional services, etc. and to actively encourage cars back into urban centres. Councils have abandoned their responsibilities, seemingly unable to find alternative paradigms.

8 hours ago, Bill said:

It’s not the decline of traditional shops that concerns me, that has been coming for many years. The problem is the unwillingness to re-purpose town centres from retail to other roles - leisure, residential, professional services, etc. and to actively encourage cars back into urban centres. Councils have abandoned their responsibilities, seemingly unable to find alternative paradigms.

Some fair points but I would discourage cars in urban centres.

Also it's a shame that more people don't think about repurposing rather than reverting to the past.

11 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Wait a second!

Are you, by any chance, ignorant of the market economy?

Of course not. I just know it doesn't work. Unless you think there's nothing can be done about it; like the weather we just have to suffer it. Well, blame God for the weather, but Man for the market economy.

11 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

One small example: if I cannot try a jacket or a jumper on in a shop then I don't know if it will fit me. (If I then send it back...more journeys for somebody).Also photographs can be deceptive. Online purchasing will clog up the roads even more while we are trying to discourage car use. And for some of us, browsing in a shop is a pleasure in itself e.g. bookshops or record stores.