[FT] Rangers 1 (Morelos 18) - 2 Malmo

2 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

I wouldn't say that one physical deficiency means he should be dropped. We had Weir playing for us for seasons and if he broke into a sprint his knees would turn to dust and his ankles would disintegrate. Managers never dropped Cannavaro because the opposition was too big either. Surely if you're a defender that can read the game then that is what matters? 

Why are you so sure about that?

There was a glaringly obvious reason why Helander may have been dropped.

Nobody should be baffled by this.

25 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Yeah, but Helander is very slow.

Are you still baffled by the decision?

You’re being a bit snide as usual but yes if Helander was available it’s a baffling decision and it cost us last night with two moments of very poor defending. 

Just now, DMAA said:

You’re being a bit snide as usual but yes if Helander was available it’s a baffling decision and it cost us last night with two moments of very poor defending. 

Helander WAS available as he was on the bench.

Said to my kid that I was surprised he wasn’t starting as he is the one defender who stabilizes the whole back 4.  As much as I like Balogun he doesn’t instill defensive confidence the same way Helander does.  He also doesn’t read the game as well as Helander.

Goldson has much more confidence when Helander is beside him.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

23 minutes ago, craig said:

As said already, the formation wasn’t the issue.  We dominated them for the first 40 minutes and, in fairness, we could have been out of sight by half time

Even in that time we were still powderpuff in the final third really though weren’t we?

It’s difficult to say what should have been done, I think Hagi deserved a start though as he looks sharper than most.

There was an argument to play Itten at home alongside Morelos so that we had more goal-scorers in the team but you can understand why that wasn’t done from the start, however I think it should have been done at half time when we were a man up. I think they’d have been very uncomfortable with a man on top of both of their center backs. Wright and Kent don’t have any presence. 

5 minutes ago, craig said:

Helander WAS available as he was on the bench.

Said to my kid that I was surprised he wasn’t starting as he is the one defender who stabilizes the whole back 4.  As much as I like Balogun he doesn’t instill defensive confidence the same way Helander does.  He also doesn’t read the game as well as Helander.

Goldson has much more confidence when Helander is beside him.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Yeh he was available, but he has said he has been playing with painkillers for 8 years and his ongoing problems do often cause him to be rested when we are playing twice a week. It’s possible he had some discomfort that was enough for the management to rest him but not enough to put him out of the squad. 

Edited by DMAA

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Even in that time we were still powderpuff in the final third really though weren’t we?

It’s difficult to say what should have been done, I think Hagi deserved a start though as he looks sharper than most.

There was an argument to play Itten at home alongside Morelos so that we had more goal-scorers in the team but you can understand why that wasn’t done from the start, however I think it should have been done at half time when we were a man up. I think they’d have been very uncomfortable with a man on top of both of their center backs. Wright and Kent don’t have any presence. 

We’ll need to agree to disagree on us being powderpuff in the first 40 minutes.  Malmo could barely get out of their own half the whole time and they made a number of defensive mistakes.  We actually got in behind a few times and but for a slack final ball could have been 2 or 3 up.

Hagi does look sharper than most but the only person he’s have replaced is Wright - and in fairness to Wright he has started the season well and in the first leg against Malmo did very well when he came on.  Wright deserves his chance IMHO.

I wouldn’t have changed anything at half time - I don’t think the manager got that wrong.  Aside from a 5 minute spell in the first half we absolutely dominated them.  They then go down to 10 men so why change anything ?  Also better to see how they change formation and tactics first before making your own because you know they’re going to change something.  Unfortunately they scored two very poorly defended goals fairly quickly in the second half which changed the complexion of the game.

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Yeh he was available, but he has said he has been playing with painkillers for 8 years and his ongoing problems do often cause him to be rested when we are playing twice a week. It’s possible he had some discomfort that was enough for the management to rest him but not enough to put him out of the squad. 

Didn’t realize that, cheers bud ??

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Should have played Balogun against Dundee Utd and Helander against Malmo then IMO.