A depressing defeat that will have implications – will Rangers be able to keep Kent and Morelos? | Athletic

Article by Jordan Campbell:

"Rangers forecast that they will lose £14.4 million this season and, given Europa League group stage football is used as the base expectation in which to budget on, missing out on the Champions League, which would have alleviated some of that deficit, means the numbers do not add up unless Rangers cash in on one, possibly two, of their high-value players."

https://theathletic.com/2763124/2021/08/11/a-depressing-defeat-that-will-have-implications-will-rangers-be-able-to-keep-kent-and-morelos/

Sounds depressing, but if we're adopting a selling model (signing cheap talents, developing them and selling them at their peak value), surely, we need to sell anyway? 

I was expecting to lose Kamara, Kent, Morelos, and the longer they stay the more concerned I am -- as strange as that sounds. There's £30-40M worth of value in those three players. That makes up some of the deficit and provides more capital for investment in new players; the next kamara, Kent and Morelos.  

Rumours are porto will be back in for morelos again with a 15 million bid.   To be honest it will probably be better if he left.   The saga has been dragging on for far too long now and as much as id like him to stay i dont want players that dont want to be here.   I expected kamara to be heading for the exit door this summer and am quite surprised that we havent recieved a bid for him.   As for our defence,   id accept a bid for any of them.   They are no where good enough for where we would like to be.   For some reason we ignore our home grown talent to the point of putting our selves in debt.  Might be that we gave no choice now but to give Patterson and kelly a chance.  Im quite confident that they would make it if given the opportunity. 

Unfortunately the spfl is no gauge of how good a team you are.   Our defence wasnt so good in the Europa league and as we seen this year were no where near the level required.  I fear tavenier hit his  peak last season and ive never rated barasic as much as the manager.  Goldson is apparently chasing a three year contract.   Is he worth it at his age? I dont think so.  I thank these players for their service but i fear this season as well as others that this season might be a bridge too far for them.

There is an awful lot of pessimissm about after 4 games. Who know's what will happen, so don't have a fire sale of all the best playing assets in one go. If Palace can attract someone who has put £87m in just like that without any prior connection with Palace - he was going to buy into Benfica but an ongoing scandal prevented that - anything can happen.  Stay calm, stay together and i'm sure the team will put a good run together that will help alleviate some of the current despondancy. 

7 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Stay calm, stay together and i'm sure the team will put a good run together that will help alleviate some of the current despondancy. 

Good advice but perhaps situations like this are also opportunities to perform surgery that might not otherwise be contemplated. Personally, I think that will be Gerrard’s view too. I wouldn’t be surprised if we finish this season with a very different team. 

54 minutes ago, Bill said:

Good advice but perhaps situations like this are also opportunities to perform surgery that might not otherwise be contemplated. Personally, I think that will be Gerrard’s view too. I wouldn’t be surprised if we finish this season with a very different team. 

Agree that the club needs to be looking forward and constantly trying to improve. Maybe keyhole rather than full surgery ;) 

Who we sell will depend on bids made.  Who we buy will depend on who we sell and how much for.  

CL elimination will mean at least one or two key players will have to be sold, I'd have thought.