1 hour ago, CammyF said:

Created another almighty clusterfuck. Will we ever learn? 

U.S.A. created this problem when it went to war in Afghanistan. We helped so we are part of it.

How many opposed it at the time? I don't remember much opposition back then.

I can recall discussing it with a colleague and arguing in favour of it. Almost every thought that I had on the matter has turned out to be a load of rubbish. How many will admit the same?

7 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

How many will admit the same

Me. Though I did wonder what would happen next after the easy bit of rousting out Al Qaeda.

At the time of Suez, a cabinet minister asked the land force commander if he thought he could get to Cairo. The General replied of course he could get to bloody Cairo but what the hell did they want him to do when he got there. 

As in Iraq later, no medium to long term political planning for when the military task is accomplished. Having said that, all the plans in the world might not have helped. Perhaps George W Bush was wrong. Perhaps not everybody in the world wants democracy after all.

A lot of people are screaming that we should go back in. Mostly the same people who have been screaming for years that we should get out.

The biggest danger now is that it will become a training and transit camp for all kind of jihadi terror groups no doubt we will see a resurgence of ISIS and Al Qaeda, then there will be a massive refugee problem rubber dinghy production will be in overdrive as most will want to come to blighty .

Western civilisation needs a modern day Eoin O'Duffy, he raised in excess of several thousand men in 1936 to fight on behalf of Franco. Two light Brigades were formed in the Republic of Ireland to defend Catholicism. Interestingly, Franco arrived in southern Spain from North Africa, at the head of the Spanish Foreign Legion. 95% of the force were Moors and, they were intent on saving christian Spain from democratic republicans. Former IRA man, O'Duffy had his force uniformed in Fascist Blue Shirts.

I would send the Green Brigade to Afghanistan. They should be led by a cavalry twirl jodhpur encased Tom Anguish. Swagger stick in hand, Brig' Tom should begin training the Green Brigade for the awaiting Afghan topography, by marching them to the top of Montrose Street every morning.