Club Statement

I can't really agree that "no one is actually offended by songs". It might be more accurate to say you can't understand how anyone can be offended by them.

I can understand it though. Like it or not, it's pretty easy to trawl through FF or Twitter and pick out some pretty offensive stuff from our fans. I think a lot of the time it is said without the poster even realising that they are being offensive. I wonder how I'd feel if I brought my two Irish/British kids to the UK and they were told to go home, probably not very happy. I do think there is an element of small mindedness in our support who genuinely see Irish and catholics as an enemy of sorts.

No one HAS to be offended by anything. Being offended is something we choose. Weaponising that offendedness is also a choice. If more people were just honest with themselves and acted like adults then “offence” would disappear overnight. 

8 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Are you guys defending singing the songs then? Is it acting like an adult to sing the songs?

People can sing whatever they want. It doesn’t need defending or attacking by me. I have no wish to act like God. 

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

People can sing whatever they want. It doesn’t need defending or attacking by me. I have no wish to act like God. 

Should they be able to sing whatever they want without consequence? What about singing in a derogatory manner about someone’s skin colour? Should that be allowed?

Just now, PoohBear said:

Should they be able to sing whatever they want without consequence? What about singing in a derogatory manner about someone’s skin colour? Should that be allowed?

It’s not my job to say what should be “allowed”. We have arseholes in government to do that. All I can say is it wouldn’t particularly upset me. 

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

It’s not my job to say what should be “allowed”. We have arseholes in government to do that. All I can say is it wouldn’t particularly upset me. 

Well, it takes either a brave or stupid man to say racism doesn’t bother them!