Club Statement

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Imagine looking for condemnation of something that might not have actually happened or even worse, something our bitter rivals fabricated.  

Should we not leave that sort of foolishness to Humza and co?

No, I think the problem is that we do have a sizeable element of the support that does this stuff. Would anyone actually be surprised if fans were singing the song? Regardless, the issue for me is that people try to play it down rather than eradicate it.

27 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

No, I think the problem is that we do have a sizeable element of the support that does this stuff. Would anyone actually be surprised if fans were singing the song? Regardless, the issue for me is that people try to play it down rather than eradicate it.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear it.

The idea that we can eradicate certain songs by tutting on the internet is a silly fantasy.

49 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

It's been a while now considering the outrage, has the video been authenticated yet? have the police officers that were present confirmed or denied yet?

It's been over 48 hours since the last reports about the incident.  No arrests or confirmation the footage is authentic yet.

I wonder what other unconfirmed things we can 'eradicate' - UFOs, Elvis sightings, Kylie singing live, perhaps?

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's been over 48 hours since the last reports about the incident.  No arrests or confirmation the footage is authentic yet.

I wonder what other unconfirmed things we can 'eradicate' - UFOs, Elvis sightings, Kylie singing live, perhaps?

We can eradicate thought.

9 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

It wouldn't surprise me to hear it.

The idea that we can eradicate certain songs by tutting on the internet is a silly fantasy.

Do you not think that the internet has a major impact on what is considered acceptable as a social norm? It's got to be the largest social gathering of rangers fans other than at the stadium. I would think calling it out and would have an impact.

Honestly, I think there is a lot of confirmation bias that occurs in our support regarding these issues - and I think they are problematic. For instance saying it's not racist misses the point, a lot of people in the past would be defending singing racist songs or shouting racist obscenities with a similar argument. It's the same thing but moved forward 30 years. 

Those upset by the videos should write to their local Parliamentarian and Rangers FC to highlight their concerns.

Due to their confirmation bias, calling it out to Rangers supporters is largely futile.  

James Dornan has just Tweeted the response he has received from Rangers suggests the club has a long way to go in eradicating sectarianism, so PoohBear could maybe team up with him and they can work together (Lothian Buses will be bricking it). 

43 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Do you not think that the internet has a major impact on what is considered acceptable as a social norm? It's got to be the largest social gathering of rangers fans other than at the stadium. I would think calling it out and would have an impact.

Honestly, I ... [blah, blah, blah]

The people who need persuading will not read your comments.  Even if they did read your comments it would not persuade them of anything.

You might be able to persuade people that you are intimately acquainted with. So my sincere recommendation is that you go out to befriend some of the people that you appear to be concerned about.

21 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Those upset by the videos should write to their local Parliamentarian and Rangers FC to highlight their concerns.

Due to their confirmation bias, calling it out to Rangers supporters is largely futile.  

James Dornan has just Tweeted the response he has received from Rangers suggests the club has a long way to go in eradicating sectarianism, so PoohBear could maybe team up with him and they can work together (Lothian Buses will be bricking it). 

I wouldn't be able to see that, he's blocked me. Not sure why you have to be so cynical about it though, I'm not having a go at you or anyone else. I just don't understand why anyone wants to defend the songs or any kind of sectarian nonsense rather than just giving it up and agreeing we shouldn't be doing it. Why do we always say it can't be done or it's pointless, or that it's not offensive?