Club Statement

1 hour ago, PoohBear said:

Well you might want to clarify what you meant then, I asked you directly if derogatory singing about someone’s skin colour should be allowed. You answered that it’s not your job to say what is allowed but that it wouldn’t particularly upset you.  How should I have read that?

How about limiting your assumptions to what’s actually written? Too difficult?

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

How about limiting your assumptions to what’s actually written? Too difficult?

All I'm doing is posting what you wrote. If you don't want to either defend yourself or take a step back and change your mind then that's up to you.

I sometimes wonder if some supporters sit and squirm when they hear certain songs at Ibrox.

After Hillsborough, the authorities decided to change their approach to football.  Before that, it was something to be frowned upon - a pastime for the uncouth masses.  After that, it has been viewed as a money making opportunity and they've tried to drive the unsavoury aspects away, which has been largely successful in the English top division.  

I get that people want a safe environment to watch the football but I had no idea so many football fans were such sensitive souls.  I feel embarrassed for any grown man who is genuinely upset about a song sung by football fans - you must've had an easy ride if that's the sort of thing that bothers you.

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I sometimes wonder if some supporters sit and squirm when they hear certain songs at Ibrox.

After Hillsborough, the authorities decided to change their approach to football.  Before that, it was something to be frowned upon - a pastime for the uncouth masses.  After that, it has been viewed as a money making opportunity and they've tried to drive the unsavoury aspects away, which has been largely successful in the English top division.  

I get that people want a safe environment to watch the football but I had no idea so many football fans were such sensitive souls.  I feel embarrassed for any grown man who is genuinely upset about a song sung by football fans - you must've had an easy ride if that's the sort of thing that bothers you.

Has anyone ever told you that you are a master of the ad hominem attack?

7 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Has anyone ever told you that you are a master of the ad hominem attack?

Not really.  I'm discussing the topic at hand (nasty football songs), so it's not really a case of playing the man not the ball, so to speak.  

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Not really.  I'm discussing the topic at hand (nasty football songs), so it's not really a case of playing the man not the ball, so to speak.  

You're attacking the character of a person in an attempt to discredit their position on the topic. It's similar in a way to Bill's means of attacking by claiming I'm too thick to understand and not actually answering the question at hand.

Anyway, regardless, it doesn't bother me if you are embarrassed that I find racist or sectarian songs offensive.

Edited by PoohBear

51 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

You're attacking the character of a person in an attempt to discredit their position on the topic.

Isn't that what you were doing earlier in the thread by presupposing what others were thinking.

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Isn't that what you were doing earlier in the thread by presupposing what others were thinking.

This is obviously getting personal now, but I don't think I was and if I was then I apologise. However you would have to point out where exactly I have done this.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's the middle class move into football. No standing, no swearing, no songs they dont approve of, prices rising to keep out the masses, CCTV and stewards everywhere to make sure they feel safe, welcome to PL football.