I know beyond doubt that a meteor the size of Mull hurtling towards Earth is a huge problem with very bad outcomes. That I don’t know what to do about it doesn’t change the truth of that statement. 

So it is with the NHS, an organisation where effectiveness is in inverse proportion to the size of its funding and where the parasitic non-clinical gravy train seems utterly out of control. 

I wouldn’t mind finding a healthcare system that actually delivered improving healthcare but the NHS has been going backwards for years and it looks like Covid is the straw that has finally broken its back. In an international context the NHS is second-rate, yet govt seems determined to keep digging until this hole consumes our future. 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I know beyond doubt that a meteor the size of Mull hurtling towards Earth is a huge problem with very bad outcomes. That I don’t know what to do about it doesn’t change the truth of that statement. 

So it is with the NHS, an organisation where effectiveness is in inverse proportion to the size of its funding and where the parasitic non-clinical gravy train seems utterly out of control. 

I wouldn’t mind finding a healthcare system that actually delivered improving healthcare but the NHS has been going backwards for years and it looks like Covid is the straw that has finally broken its back. In an international context the NHS is second-rate, yet govt seems determined to keep digging until this hole consumes our future. 

It isn't a national health service anymore. Trusts have seen to that.Myriads of private companies are in there screwing it for what they get and not delivering. I'm curious to know how you would rectify it. If you don't believe in a service free at the point of use then fine. I, however, do. You are right though in saying it has lost its effectiveness and we all know who is to blame for that.

From my observations of treatment received by a posse of elderly relatives, hospital doctors work hard and are pretty good at their job. GPs on the other hand are paid an outrageous fortune and do very little. They can afford to retire early and do a bit of locum work if they run short, i.e. pay for their fourth holiday or buy a new boat. I could do their job. If a patient’s injured, send them to the nurse to be bandaged, if they look ill send, them to hospital otherwise tell them to take aspirin and come back in a couple of weeks and then send them to hospital.

I don’t know enough about it but some say the Australian system is good.

I exaggerate a bit but modern day GPs are nowhere near as professional as their predecessors forty or more years ago. 

Now it looks like the government are going to throw more taxpayers money at the NHS it wont work the more they get the more they will waste .

How do you fix it for a start there's to many chiefs and not enough indians 

3 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

You are right though in saying it has lost its effectiveness and we all know who is to blame for that.

Yes, the NHS bureaucracy, the huge army of six figure salaries who wouldn’t be tolerated by the private sector. 

3 hours ago, Scott7 said:

From my observations of treatment received by a posse of elderly relatives, hospital doctors work hard and are pretty good at their job. GPs on the other hand are paid an outrageous fortune and do very little. They can afford to retire early and do a bit of locum work if they run short, i.e. pay for their fourth holiday or buy a new boat. I could do their job. If a patient’s injured, send them to the nurse to be bandaged, if they look ill send, them to hospital otherwise tell them to take aspirin and come back in a couple of weeks and then send them to hospital.

I don’t know enough about it but some say the Australian system is good.

I exaggerate a bit but modern day GPs are nowhere near as professional as their predecessors forty or more years ago. 

The NHS exists for the sole purpose of delivering effective healthcare to an entire nation, not just to individual patients and it's in that context it has to be judged.

5 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

It isn't a national health service anymore. Trusts have seen to that.Myriads of private companies are in there screwing it for what they get and not delivering. I'm curious to know how you would rectify it. If you don't believe in a service free at the point of use then fine. I, however, do. You are right though in saying it has lost its effectiveness and we all know who is to blame for that.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

3 hours ago, compo said:

Now it looks like the government are going to throw more taxpayers money at the NHS it wont work the more they get the more they will waste .

How do you fix it for a start there's to many chiefs and not enough indians 

Like pouring petrol on a bonfire.