Scottish Sports Fans Need To Prove They Have Been Fully Vaccinated

Why is everyone so against this? If it's a choice between this and another lockdown then I choose this every time. Scotland currently has infection numbers of over 6,000, this time last year that number was a couple of hundred. Thankfully most people are vaccinated so the chance of serious illness and death are greatly reduced, but let's not pretend the danger has gone away completely. Glasgow has enjoyed a surprisingly warm start to the autumn, but that won't last and as the colder weather arrives those infection numbers will increase again. 84% of Scots are double jagged, 91% have had one, so in reality this isn't going to affect that many of us. there's a month until this comes into force so time for the rest to start getting their vaccines, which is surely what the purpose of this is.

I understand the nervousness many of us have regarding Rangers ticket office's ability to deal with this, but that's surely preferable to not seeing Rangers at all, despite what politicians are currently saying, that must be a real possibility if these infection numbers continue to rise. 

Utterly unworkable. You have to hope that like much else the SNP proposes it will never actually happen.

It'll be coming to an English ground very soon too, mark my words. And it's not just the football world either, Shell have already admitted that they will do the same (some suggestions that they're doing it already) - no jab no job, and the NHS in England is about to commence a massive survey on doing the same.

I totally agree from a logistics point of view, it won't be easy, but there's a hell of a lot of stuff we've managed to implement that looked impossible 18 months ago.

34 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Why is everyone so against this?

I think for many, it's freedom to choose issue. They don't feel the state has the right to tell them that they must get vaccinated.

I can see both sides but I'd certainly prefer that more people got vaccinated.

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

Why is everyone so against this?

Because it won’t make a blind bit of difference to national Covid infection rates.

Its a bit like thinking reducing UK carbon emissions will make a difference to global climate. It’s pure distraction.

I don’t think there will be another  total lockdown. There could be some restrictions come back and football crowds could be the first to suffer this so this is how it could affect the Rangers fan.

The proposal to introduce vaccine passes is all about increasing the vaccine take up. If you are double vaccinated, you can still get COVID, albeit less severely, and you can still pass it on. If you are not vaccinated, the risk of getting it is greater and you could suffer more from it’s effects. The benefits to the unvaccinated in being vaccinated is therefore obvious and that’s why the Government has encouraged people to be vaccinated. The benefits of this vaccine pass policy to the vaccinated is less clear. It may reduce the risk to them getting it slightly, but so would other measures, like distancing in indoor venues and face coverings, and these are not being extended.

There will always be a proportion of people who will not be vaccinated, so what is the proportion double vaccinated that is required to say the policy has been successful and therefore can be ended? 95%? 99%?. I understand why the Government would not give this figure as it undermines their stance that everyone should be vaccinated but I hope within the confines of government that they have a target.

I’m sure that if everyone set their mind to it, a workable way of checking the passes could be found, but not in the short term.  As we being told that the policy is constantly under review, suggesting that this is only for the short term , no one is going to invest in some detailed solution as it may be called off soon.

This policy targets the young, as they are not doing as they are told. Those of us who are not so young are caught up in it and could be embroiled in the chaos of it’s implementation.

3 hours ago, Bluedell said:

I think for many, it's freedom to choose issue. They don't feel the state has the right to tell them that they must get vaccinated.

I can see both sides but I'd certainly prefer that more people got vaccinated.

Yeah, I can see that. To be fair the state isn't saying you have to get vaccinated, it's saying someone is perfectly entitled not to get vaccinated, but they can't attend large social or sporting events then. I suspect you'll see limits on foreign travel for un-vaccinated and various other restrictions in an attempt to 'force' vaccination without actual legislation. Insurance companies and risk managers are already advising big employers on 'no-vaccine no-job' policies, viewing the risk of a civil liberties law suit being less costly than law suit from someone who has caught covid at work.