Scottish Sports Fans Need To Prove They Have Been Fully Vaccinated

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

It's not a choice between vaccine passports and another lockdown.  The government has the option to do neither.

This will affect every single person that attends a sporting event with over 10,000 present.  So given the nature of this forum then I suspect it will affect many of us.

I'm opposed to it because I don't believe that I should have to share my private medical information with a third party without good cause.  I also don't believe that anybody should be obliged to take the vaccine if they don't want to take it.

As far as I can tell the vaccine does not prevent you from catching the virus.  Neither does it prevent you from spreading it.  I does significantly reduce the likelihood of serious illness and death.  If that's all true then the only person endangered would be the person who remains unvaccinated.  So why not let the individual take this risk?  I'm happy to be corrected about the impact of the vaccine on transmission.

What is the stated impact of vaccine passports?  How many lives does the government estimate that this measure will save?  Is the N.H.S. in danger of being overwhelmed by the remaining 9-16% of the population?  All questions that the government should have to answer before legislating for this.  Any answer to these questions will reliably turn out to have been exaggerated.

Would the vaccine passport survive an equalities impact assessment?  Reportedly black and minority ethnic groups are significantly less likely to be vaccinated.  People throughout public institutions are asked to assess decisions for a balanced impact across protected characteristics.  Is that happening here?  You might worry that the government applies certain practices only when it suits.

As an aside this is the thin end of the wedge.  Scotland suffers from an electorate with an inability to critique any government decisions.  It won't end well.

Attending football matches, gigs or clubs is not compulsory, no one is making you attend or give over private medical information if you don't want too. Likewise you don't have to get the vaccine, that's still personal choice. 

Scotland has a baseline of 184 ICU beds, this can be escalated up to 738 in times of crisis. The number of people 18 years old or over is around 4,313,400, so 9% of that is 388,206. I'll let you work out whether there's a danger of the NHS being overwhelmed as the poorer weather comes in. 

Vaccine passports are already being used in a number of countries in various formats, Scottish government didn't come up with this idea in a vacuum. We're almost certainly following what was introduced in France earlier in the summer. It was unpopular with many people there too, but it has been successful in encouraging people to get vaccinated. 

You are still entitled to vote for whoever you want at the next election, as is everyone else in Scotland and the UK.

4 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Attending football matches, gigs or clubs is not compulsory, no one is making you attend or give over private medical information if you don't want too. Likewise you don't have to get the vaccine, that's still personal choice. 

Scotland has a baseline of 184 ICU beds, this can be escalated up to 738 in times of crisis. The number of people 18 years old or over is around 4,313,400, so 9% of that is 388,206. I'll let you work out whether there's a danger of the NHS being overwhelmed as the poorer weather comes in. 

Vaccine passports are already being used in a number of countries in various formats, Scottish government didn't come up with this idea in a vacuum. We're almost certainly following what was introduced in France earlier in the summer. It was unpopular with many people there too, but it has been successful in encouraging people to get vaccinated. 

You are still entitled to vote for whoever you want at the next election, as is everyone else in Scotland and the UK.

If I want to go about my life as normal.  Because I happen to attend large sporting events I can't.  I either have to sacrifice my lifestyle or my privacy. I don't think that I should have to without good cause. I'm yet to see evidence that there is a good cause.

Ask yourself what proportion of ~400k will catch covid.  Ask yourself what proportion of that number already have antibodies due to prior infection.  Ask yourself how many will catch covid concurrently.  Ask yourself how many will catch covid due to attending a large sporting event.  Ask yourself how many of those will have little or no risk of requiring intensive care let alone death.  Answers to each of those questions will diminish the number further until we reach the point that the violation of privacy is obviously farcical.

Although it is earth shattering to learn that I can vote I suspect that more is required.  None of the parties are opposed to the vaccine passport as a matter of principle.  The opposition parties have a duty to scrutinise the legislation and oppose it.  Real protection from such legislation will not come unless the electorate wakes up.  Political parties will neither uphold privacy nor leave us alone unless the electorate holds them to account. That means critique of every stupid, and unjustified, rule that is introduced. As it is the numerous feeble minded, or ignorant, souls will shrug and ask what's the problem? 

On 10/09/2021 at 08:20, JohnMc said:

Why is everyone so against this? If it's a choice between this and another lockdown then I choose this every time. Scotland currently has infection numbers of over 6,000, this time last year that number was a couple of hundred. Thankfully most people are vaccinated so the chance of serious illness and death are greatly reduced, but let's not pretend the danger has gone away completely. Glasgow has enjoyed a surprisingly warm start to the autumn, but that won't last and as the colder weather arrives those infection numbers will increase again. 84% of Scots are double jagged, 91% have had one, so in reality this isn't going to affect that many of us. there's a month until this comes into force so time for the rest to start getting their vaccines, which is surely what the purpose of this is.

I understand the nervousness many of us have regarding Rangers ticket office's ability to deal with this, but that's surely preferable to not seeing Rangers at all, despite what politicians are currently saying, that must be a real possibility if these infection numbers continue to rise. 

What difference is a piece of paper going to make?   Double vaccinated people are catching it too.   It makes little sense to me at all.  Aside that I am fundamentally opposed to them in principle.  I also disagree with giving this dictatorial, controlling government any more power over me or anyone else.

7 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Scotland suffers from an electorate with an inability to critique any government decisions.

This is a fundamental truth and underpins much of our accelerating decline. 

Orwell:

"In our age there is no such thing as "keeping out of politics." All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia. When the general atmosphere is bad, language must suffer.".

The Science, stay safe etc.