[FT] Rangers 0 - 2 Lyon

"gegenpressing" WTF?? Thats not a real word! 

I am amazed anyone thinks we will be favourites against a side who made the CL SF about 12 months ago, coupled with our own form being, well, pish so far this season. I will gladly take anything other than defeat in this one tonight. Our success in this group will surely come from the other 4 games.

Of course I hope I have overestimated them and that we hit our form tonight and if that happens, along with our normal big European night atmosphere, we can of course put this mob to the sword like so many in the last 3 years who on paper would be favourites against us.

Really looking forward to the game now, not least to see if I can spot the "gegenpress". What number is he anyway?

54 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

"gegenpressing" WTF?? Thats not a real word! 

I am amazed anyone thinks we will be favourites against a side who made the CL SF about 12 months ago, coupled with our own form being, well, pish so far this season. I will gladly take anything other than defeat in this one tonight. Our success in this group will surely come from the other 4 games.

Of course I hope I have overestimated them and that we hit our form tonight and if that happens, along with our normal big European night atmosphere, we can of course put this mob to the sword like so many in the last 3 years who on paper would be favourites against us.

Really looking forward to the game now, not least to see if I can spot the "gegenpress". What number is he anyway?

From German, popularised by Jürgen Klopp (1967-), German football manager.

A tactic in which a team, after losing possession of the ball, immediately attempts to win back possession, rather than falling back to regroup

I’m a bit worried going into this campaign tbh. We have two excellent campaigns to match, but with Helander ruled out and Jack still missing I worry we could leak goals. We badly lack protection from midfield at this level, that was plain last season. I really wanted us to sign someone to take over from Davis who was fitter, more physical and strong in the tackle. In defence I see Helander to Balogun as a big step down in quality too. 

Optimistic as usual ? our record at Ibrox is outstanding and hopefully Gerrard can pull it out of the bag again. 

Edited by DMAA

Had a quick check of their squad, just three big money transfers, lots of people from their youth teams (0) and a few freebies.

GK - Lopes (0), Pollersbek (225k), Bonnevie (?)

DEF - Emerson (loan), Boateng (free), Henrique (free), Denayer (9m), Diomande (0), Da Silva (free), Luekba (0), Gusto (0)

MF - Aquar (0), Bruno G. (18m), Caqueret (0), Keita (0), Paqueta (18m), Shaqiri (5,4m)

ST - Cherki (0), Barcola (0), Slimani (free), Toko (10,35m)

Interesting that their biggest signings, them two Brazilians at 18m each, were given exception to travel to Scotland.

Gut feeling says that this could go well down the way the Leverkusen games wnet. Then again, in Europe under SG we have been quite good against many a team that "should" walked over us. Let`s just hope for the best.

8 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

"Clarification", surely.

And clarity, according to Irish-American author JP Donleavy is

".....that force given to a fist sent in the direction of a face that when hit has no trouble seeing stars."