[FT] Rangers 0 - 2 Lyon

Same lacklustre unimaginative performance from the same faces week in week out.   Barasic was terrible as was our midfield again.   But it will be the same side that will get picked next game no matter how badly they play.

Gerrard is getting it very wrong and sticking by his favourites will cost us dear.

1 minute ago, gisabeer said:

Same lacklustre unimaginative performance from the same faces week in week out.   Barasic was terrible as was our midfield again.   But it will be the same side that will get picked next game no matter how badly they play.

Gerrard is getting it very wrong and sticking by his favourites will cost us dear.

Can you name our best team seeing as you think SG is continually getting it so wrong all the time? according to you!. 

I feel we have regressed since last season, not solely based on tonights performance, but as Ian mentioned above, this has been typical of our season so far. We're just not composed enough, accurate enough, fast enough, focused enough. Based on our European performances so far, where we've really not turned up in any of the games, I fear that 3rd (and a parachute to the conference) may even be too much to ask. We need to jolt ourselves out of this lacklustre phase that we've been in for too long now, or it could be a very regretful season. Lyon were too comfortable, but if Rangers of last season turned up tonight I don't think we lose that. 

Positives were hard to find, but was pleased with Lundstrum and Balogun. Kent first half and Sakala seemed to inject some energy, but we need more from everyone. 

Bassey should have played tonight.   Wright deserves a start.  Sakala....cant wait till he actually gets a start.    Kent and aribo are creating nothing but will get picked every week.   Wouldnt mind patterson getting a game as well.

We are ordinary and predictable.   Void of any imagination and guile.   Do i think well win the league?  Yes i do,   it will be the best if a bad lot though.

As for Europe its been an embarrassment from the first kick of the ball.   And the sane managers favourites thats dragging us down.

12 minutes ago, gisabeer said:

Bassey should have played tonight.   Wright deserves a start.  Sakala....cant wait till he actually gets a start.    Kent and aribo are creating nothing but will get picked every week.   Wouldnt mind patterson getting a game as well.

We are ordinary and predictable.   Void of any imagination and guile.   Do i think well win the league?  Yes i do,   it will be the best if a bad lot though.

As for Europe its been an embarrassment from the first kick of the ball.   And the sane managers favourites thats dragging us down.

So basically we should get rid of the whole team from last season and start again!!!

28 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Can you name our best team seeing as you think SG is continually getting it so wrong all the time? according to you!. 

The one thing here is that you really don`t know how Lyon would actually play, unless you see them often. We went for a midfield of craft (which they did), and an attacking three that were essentually Morelos up top and two people interchanging positions and dropping deep every now and then. By default, that means we were blunt up top. Once we knew how Lyon played, we should have put on another quick guy to run into the space that was there, one attacker who goes for goal. Kent was far too often far too deep ... and when we had the ball in the box, we were usually still outnumbered as our craftsmen didn`t support the frontline that hard and run into spaces. When we play 4-3-3, we should play 3 attackers up front ... and for a good few weeks now, Kent is too blunt in front of goals to get a starting slot ahead of Wright, Sakala or Roofe.

BTW, we also missed Hagi tonight.

Dunno whether Bassey and Patterson would have faredthat well against the likey of Lyon, but against other teams, they can sure step up. Having said that, both Barisic and Tavernier were okay tonight, given then opposition. It was more a case of the DMS/CMs not taking up their men every now and then.

Edited by der Berliner

6 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

The one thing here is that you really don`t know how Lyon would actually play, unless you see them often. We went for a midfield of craft (which they did), and an attacking three that were essentually Morelos up top and two people interchanging positions and dropping deep every now and then. By default, that means we were blunt up top. Once we knew how Lyon played, we should have put on another quick guy to run into the space that was there, one attacker who goes for goal. Kent was far too often far too deep ... and when we had the ball in the box, we were usually still outnumbered as our craftsmen didn`t support the frontline that hard and run into spaces. When we play 4-3-3, we should play 3 attackers up front ... and for a good few weeks now, Kent is too blunt in front of goals to get a starting slot ahead of Wright, Sakala or Roofe.

BTW, we also missed Hagi tonight.

Dunno whether Bassey and Patterson would have faredthat well against the likey of Lyon, but against other teams, they can sure step up. Having said that, both Barisic and Tavernier were okay tonight, given then opposition. It was more a case of the DMS/CMs not taking up their men every now and then.

I stick with what I said earlier, we haven't played to anywhere near our standard from last season! last season I would be confident of giving any team a game, this season I'm not as confident!

Just in from the game have to disagree about Kent losing ball for first goal it came from a hospital pass from Aribo as we were pressing.McGregor no chance with goal.

Second goal Kent should have punted ball away,did not,and Keystone Cop defending ensued.

Thought Lundstram had his best game,MOM for me,but both Aribo and Kamara let us down badly.

As for the referee he fell for all their diving and time wasting--no better than any Scottish ones.

Was VAR in use tonight as I thought the push on Barisic was a penalty.

Five games left to get it right but meanwhile roll on Sunday.

Disappointing night but I think you have to acknowledge the standard of opposition we faced. Way better than anything we’ll face for the rest of the season probably

What disappointed me most was the way we gifted them the 2 goals. Losing possession too easily once again.

But our home support need to realise too that playing in Europe is a totally different  game from the SPFL. You need to keep possession even if it means going backwards more often than you’d like to. 
You can’t give away possession easily to top calibre sides or they’ll punish you. Patience is the key. 

On a more worrying note I do wonder if Steven Davis has got another full season in him. No one has got more admiration for Davis  than myself but I genuinely wonder if this is a season too far for him but hopefully we’re now starting to see Lundstram emerge and show us the EPL player we thought we were getting. I thought he did well tonight   

Edited by RANGERRAB