[FT] Rangers 0 - 2 Lyon

Lyon absolutely schooled us in 2nd half, we couldn't lay a glove on them, they are a CL class team in my opinion and shows how far we have to go to get to CL standard. 

May be it's time to reflect on our journey and the strides we've made (especially under SG) in Europe. We've gone from being eliminated by Progress to qualifying to and getting out of the group stages. That's our level, that's out standard, no shame in that. 

For me, and I may be alone, this season (like all seasons) is about winning the SPL title (number 56) as this opens up the financial riches of CL. 

Tonight I thought Lundstrum had a great game, but our front 3 aren't firing for some reason. I'm sure they'll come good soon but maybe Kent will be rested at weekend depending in the extent of his injury which should open the door for Wright.

With Covid, injuries, international break the season has been stop / start thus far, hopefully a run of games will see us click into top gear. 

29 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

On a more worrying note I do wonder if Steven Davis has got another full season in him. No one has got more admiration for Davis  than myself but I genuinely wonder if this is a season too far for him

I shared your thoughts on Davis tonight. He made a sad spectacle for much of the time he was on the pitch and if he is starting to fade then it's inevitable that better opposition will expose it first. It was encouraging to see that Lundstram really could be an asset in midfield but what we really need right now is Ryan Jack fit and back on the park.

23 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

I think we would have got a result if we played this team last year.

A few players did not look too clever tonight.

Hopefully we get Jack back soon so that we don't need to rely on Davis every game.

Nah, we fell to a far inferior team last season in EL last 16. Lyon are head and shoulders above us, they are CL class with CL class players, we aren't (and weren't last season). 

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

I shared your thoughts on Davis tonight. He made a sad spectacle for much of the time he was on the pitch and if he is starting to fade then it's inevitable that better opposition will expose it first. It was encouraging to see that Lundstram really could be an asset in midfield but what we really need right now is Ryan Jack fit and back on the park.

Yeah, had same thoughts on SD - hands of time catching up with him? Great servant, fantastic professional but looks like these games, at this level of opposition are a step too far for him now. 

43 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

So basically we should get rid of the whole team from last season and start again!!!

Dont know were you got that from.  But on form alone id have bassey and wright in my starting 11.   Wright certainly looked the part tonight when he came on tonight.   Bassey too is showing a lot of promise and the flashes we see of sakala suggest theres a player there.  

Ok some thoughts, after eventually getting in because my QR code wouldn’t work , and getting really good service from the ticket office , the guy printed out all the tickets in paper form for me , from 15 mins on I thought we looked ok , neither team looked spectacular and both were quite pedestrian . 

However if we , quite rightly praised Tav for his goal last week , the Lyon boys curler was top drawer , the bend he got in that was unreal .

I was sitting in the Copland rear and after the main stand for so many years it’s hard to get any form of perspective depth wise on our play , we certainly lacked width for long spells and our tempo was way way off , something we always struggle with , our tempo is slow we play poorly , Europe or domestically .

We also were guilty of taking an extra touch every time , allowing them to close us down quickly , I’ve seen a lot of comments praising Lundstram , from where I was sitting he and the rest of the midfield were awful , Kamaras worst game in Europe , however that could just be my bad.

I was convinced Roofe had a 5 match ban , that’s how out of it I was , anyway it’s over , we need to improve and , all I really really want for Xmas is for us to spend some real money on that midfield .

Just back from the game.

They're a good side and deserved to beat us. We look a bit flat.  Morelos isn't causing opposition problems like he can. Roofe should've been on sooner, as he is our most creative forward.

Lundstram and Aribo were our best players tonight.

Sometimes you just have to accept you lost to a better side, as unpalatable as that might be.

Steven Gerrard has work to do.