[FT] Rangers 1 (Sakala 12) - 1 Motherwell

9 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

I liked the low key flag unfurling. I thought the pyrotechnic display at the last one was dumb.

I was completely baffled by the flag being hoisted sideways. Why on earth did we do that?

It was an embarrassment tbh, a damp squib.   

On another day, when you score 2 or 3 goals in the first half from all those chances, teams may open up more and you can counter them for more goals. It is not like we didn`t have games like yetserday`s throughout the last few seasons, only that we managed to keep a lot of clean sheets in 20/21. Early doors yet, though I had hoped that we keep Itten as that sort of physical spear-head-striker that stays central, keeps their defenders busy while Morelos, Sakala, Roofe, Wright, Kent and Co. run them ragged.

12 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

One of the most disappointing things about today was Motherwell were the better side for the last fifteen minutes.  

We really should have scored a second when Davis broke free - he should've played it left and done it sooner.  I had a feeling that missed opportunity would come back to bite us and it did a couple of minutes later.

Turning point of the game.

Motherwell set up to stay in the game for as long as ......

Profligacy on our part ensured 'Well were still there on the hour mark. They played for 15 minutes, equalised and we reflected on the several opportunities not taken to notch the second. 

On the hour mark, I thought we were mentally undone?

The management team have to find a way to motivate our players to win matches at home, particularly in the next two months. Hearts, Hibs and, Aberdeen are all calling, we can build a cushion. 

I thought for the first 30 minutes it was as slick and fast from us as I have seen all season, but as has become the norm since wrapping up the title in March we do not play for 90 minutes. I share SG's frustration at very poor choices in final third, very wasteful in front of goal, but that we opened them up time and time again and should have scored a bucketload and be 6 points clear of our only rivals. We have played worse and won (Motherwell last season!) but this brand of anti-football, timewasting from minute 1, long ball humping up the park deserved absolutely nothing from the game and yet we still managed to make 2 errors from the only 2 attacks they mustered in the first 75 minutes, and conceded 1 goal as Simpson refused to tackle the advancing threat. He simply has to tackle that guy, or take him out. 

But certain things are becoming clear as time goes on this season. We have not had a good transfer window, and we have not brought in any first team players to improve our side, only squad replacements to try to keep our bench at the same level. Some of our key players from last term have not hit the same heights this season. probably half the team in honesty. I agree with SG that the lack of consistency of availability this season has prevented us from getting any cohesion and form together, and therefore I am not panicking just yet until we get some consistency of selection and then we should see improved results and performances.