KIRK BROADFOOT knows more than a few eyebrows were raised when Walter Smith plucked him from Paisley and made him a Rangers player.

Now the cynics are more likely to be nodding their head in appreciation after seeing the former St Mirren star slot into three different roles in as many matches and performwell in each of them.

Broadfoot might have made his name as a centre-half at Love Street but he's been used at right-back, left-back and on Saturday against Falkirk he added left-midfield to his collection after coming on as a sub and pitching in with a goal during the 7-2 rout of John Hughes' men.

The 23-year-old admits he is loving every minute of it and insists he never had any doubts that he could make the jump from a provincial outfit to one of the Old Firm giants.

Particularly when the captain of the club, Barry Ferguson, went out of his way to make him feel welcome. Broadfoot believes the togetherness of the squad is a major reason for Rangers' sensational start to the season and for his own promising start to his Ibrox career.

The former Scotland Under-21 defender said: "When I arrived I wasn't daunted by it, I relished the challenge. If you don't relish it you're at the wrong place. If you go out onto the pitch scared you've failed straight away.

Advertisement

"I know it's going to get harder as more players come back from injury.But when I arrived I didn't feel overawed.

"Barry Ferguson helped me settle right away. When the club captain does that it's great, but it is a bit like starting any new job because it takes time to get to know everyone."

Broadfoot's ability to play just about anywhere can make him a regular on the park or on the bench - and with players like Brahim Hemdani, DaMarcus Beasley, Ian Murray, Charlie Adam, Filip Sebo and Alan Gow sitting in the stand at the weekend, he knows the competition has never been tougher.

He said: "This is the biggest squad I've seen. There are 30 players who could come into the first team and do a job.

"The Under-21 rule takes three off straight away but it's a battle to make the bench now, never mind the starting line-up."

Broadfoot was delighted with the victory over Falkirk, which stretched Rangers' run of victories at home and in Europe to six since the start of the campaign.

He was particularly happy to notch his first goal for the club, particularly as his own fan club was sitting in the stand.

He said: "That's my first goal for Rangers. I'm a Rangers fan so to score for Rangers at Ibrox is a dream come true.

"My mum and dad were at the game along with four of my friends. When I switched my phone on there were quite a few text messages with people congratulating me. It was a good day all round to be honest." The defender was delighted to see the strikers do the business, with Daniel Cousin and Jean-Claude Darcheville grabbing two goals each and Kris Boyd making a welcome return to the scoresheet.

He said: "Danny came in from the start and did very well. Once he starts speaking English he'll be even better.

"He doesn't understand anything really but his knowledge of the game shows.

"Kris and Darche then came off the bench to score too so it's pleasing. I think as a squad we're starting to gel."

Interesting interview,sorry if it's old news but working overseas,i was just wondering what the fans are thinking about him as i've not seen much of him :cheers:

i think he's been brilliant, to be honest. he's made a few errors, but he's shown an actual lightness of touch, a willingness to fight for the cause by playing out his actual position, and general competence in carrying out his duties.

i was impressed with him against us last season. well done big man!

i think he's been brilliant, to be honest. he's made a few errors, but he's shown an actual lightness of touch, a willingness to fight for the cause by playing out his actual position, and general competence in carrying out his duties.

i was impressed with him against us last season. well done big man!

Glad to hear that,another signing willing to fight for the right to play for the GERS :cheers:

I think he's done reasonably well so far and deserves a lot of credit for already playing 3 different positions as well as scoring a goal at the weekend.

However, I don't see what he brings that Ian Murray didn't already. I suppose he's younger and possibly better in the air. Other than that, I'm not so sure we really needed him.

On the other hand, if we can get a fee for Murray then I'll be happy enough.

I think he's done reasonably well so far and deserves a lot of credit for already playing 3 different positions as well as scoring a goal at the weekend.

However, I don't see what he brings that Ian Murray didn't already. I suppose he's younger and possibly better in the air. Other than that, I'm not so sure we really needed him.

Murray has been linked with Hertha Berlin and a loan to Norwich, but i'm not sure if there's much substance to these rumours.

i think he's a much better footballer than murray. he's actually quite good with the ball at his feet, has fairly decent vision and is a much better central defender for the longer term.

The thing about Murray is that when he first came here and was playing at LB, he actually played very well and was one of our better players. He also got forward and linked well. I seem to remember he was also asked to play as holding midfielder for a few games which he did very well.

Then it all seemed to go downhill from there and he became a bit of a whipping boy too.