[FT] Dundee 0 - 1 Rangers (Aribo 16)

7 minutes ago, DMAA said:

this run of poor form is more than long enough to merit a change in formation

Not happening.  

We have to hope some players get back in form and SG can get some new impetus and the whole team wakes up.  

10 hours ago, DMAA said:

I think this run of poor form is more than long enough to merit a change in formation now. Not that the formation is the problem, just that history shows that a change in formation can freshen things up for a team in the doldrums. I’d like to see 2 up front

I don't disagree, but I think you're missing a step. We play with two strikers anyway. 

The issue is player positioning midfield to front and through the lines. 

We sure can play a 4-3-3, but with Roofe - Morelos - Sakala up front. All can play across the front line, take up dangerous positions and are more than willing to shoot. Hagi as the main creator behind them, the wingbacks (as per usual) joining the attack. Once we get in  front and are comfortable, revert to our current 4-2-3-1 with pacy AMs like Kent and Wright and hit them on the counter.

If we show up like yesterday in Prague, we`ll be rock bottom after 2 games.

18 hours ago, CammyF said:

Seriously? Semi-final of League Cup, Europa League Group Stages and top of league - wow.....

We aren't and weren't gonna be as fluent as we were last season. We set impossible standards. Yes we aren't playing to our best but haven't had a settled team due to injuries and Covid. 

We have work to do, but come on, really? Who should go Gerrard or all the players? 

We struggled to knock out a pub team from outer mongolia to get to the europa league.  League cup semi final?  We to beat dumbarton and Livingston to get there!   

Ill cut kent some flack here as hes taking the brunt of our poor form.  Aribo kamara roofe and davis as well mainstays in the team get picked every week and underperform.  Our manager called the team out after malmo and then continued to play the same team and failing tactics week after week and like most fans hoped it would better.   As we can all see its not.   

Craig Moore was right.  We have a team of squad fillers and a lack of quality.   It was no surprise that malmo humbled us and on our current form well be lucky to win a game in the Europa league this season.  Ive always thought our defence in particular  was well out of its depth for CL and as the Lyon game showed theyre no better in the Europa.  They may have done well in the league last season but we conceded heavily in Europe.   The warning signs were there.   Wherw would i start?   Start playing aribo in his proper position as we dont get the best out of him in the midfield.   Move hagi back into the midfield as i think much like aribo  we dont get the best out of him in an an attacking position.   I would also change the formation to accommodate 4 in the midfield either 4 4 2 or 4 1 4 1 formation but we all know that wont happen.

I do know that hoping "things will get better "doing what we are doing  wont get us anywhere.  Something does need to change.   That is a fact.

36 minutes ago, gisabeer said:

We struggled to knock out a pub team from outer mongolia to get to the europa league.  League cup semi final?  We to beat dumbarton and Livingston to get there!   

Ill cut kent some flack here as hes taking the brunt of our poor form.  Aribo kamara roofe and davis as well mainstays in the team get picked every week and underperform.  Our manager called the team out after malmo and then continued to play the same team and failing tactics week after week and like most fans hoped it would better.   As we can all see its not.   

Craig Moore was right.  We have a team of squad fillers and a lack of quality.   It was no surprise that malmo humbled us and on our current form well be lucky to win a game in the Europa league this season.  Ive always thought our defence in particular  was well out of its depth for CL and as the Lyon game showed theyre no better in the Europa.  They may have done well in the league last season but we conceded heavily in Europe.   The warning signs were there.   Wherw would i start?   Start playing aribo in his proper position as we dont get the best out of him in the midfield.   Move hagi back into the midfield as i think much like aribo  we dont get the best out of him in an an attacking position.   I would also change the formation to accommodate 4 in the midfield either 4 4 2 or 4 1 4 1 formation but we all know that wont happen.

I do know that hoping "things will get better "doing what we are doing  wont get us anywhere.  Something does need to change.   That is a fact.

So no mention of being top of the league, some thing we didn't achieve until beating Celtic at Parkhead last season (If I remember correctly).

Again, no recognition of the major disruption to pre-season (players coming back late from international duties) or the impact of Covid and injuries? 

In the league cup it was Livingston and Dunfermline we have beaten thus far, and the old adage is, you can only beat what's in front of you. 

We are miles away from CL quality, no shame in admitting that. However coming from the brink of oblivion to EL quarter final in a decade is some achievement. Malmo was a dissapoitmemt no doubt, but Lyon are way above our standard, out of our league both quality wise and financially. 

I've been lucky that I've seen many Rangers teams winning league titles, none and I repeat none played outstanding football every game. I remember the panttwetting on here when we dropped points at Hamilton, Motherwell, Livi, Hibs et-al last season. ALL succesfull Rangers teams Ive been lucky to have seen have struggled at certain times through the season, and most got their arses handed to them in Europe (a few notable exceptions).

As for formations, tactics, players positions, I'll trust SG, Macca and their staff to sort things out. As long as we still sit atop the SPFL and the end of the season, I for one will be a happy Bear and will have forgotten about a shit game at Dens Park (or wherever our next shit game is).