[FT] Dundee 0 - 1 Rangers (Aribo 16)

5 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Our form has been poor but some of the reactions are OTT.  Players don't go from being great to useless that quickly.  Same with tactical formations.

The lack of intensity and desire is what concerns me.  

Overall we've gone backwards in terms of performances but there are some positives, including being top of the league of course. Bassey, Balogun, Patterson and Lundstram have gone from backups to some of our best performers. Fashion Sakala is settling in well and Hagi has grown in stature. Perhaps it's no bad thing that these guys face a bit of adversity - it's often the well from which success is drawn.

11 hours ago, CammyF said:

So no mention of being top of the league, some thing we didn't achieve until beating Celtic at Parkhead last season (If I remember correctly).

Again, no recognition of the major disruption to pre-season (players coming back late from international duties) or the impact of Covid and injuries? 

In the league cup it was Livingston and Dunfermline we have beaten thus far, and the old adage is, you can only beat what's in front of you. 

We are miles away from CL quality, no shame in admitting that. However coming from the brink of oblivion to EL quarter final in a decade is some achievement. Malmo was a dissapoitmemt no doubt, but Lyon are way above our standard, out of our league both quality wise and financially. 

I've been lucky that I've seen many Rangers teams winning league titles, none and I repeat none played outstanding football every game. I remember the panttwetting on here when we dropped points at Hamilton, Motherwell, Livi, Hibs et-al last season. ALL succesfull Rangers teams Ive been lucky to have seen have struggled at certain times through the season, and most got their arses handed to them in Europe (a few notable exceptions).

As for formations, tactics, players positions, I'll trust SG, Macca and their staff to sort things out. As long as we still sit atop the SPFL and the end of the season, I for one will be a happy Bear and will have forgotten about a shit game at Dens Park (or wherever our next shit 

Im a big believer in the manner in how you win dictates how good a team you are.  Right now we struggle to beat anyone.  Dundee could have put 4 or 5 past us on Saturday and that alarms me.  Ive not seen a performance like that since pedro was manager.  One thing you can say over the last three seasons about Rangers under Gerrard is that you could see the game plan and that we were constantly getting better even during the first two seasons when we didnt win the league.   I could see the plan on the park and you could see the direction we were going in.  Now?   We look like a rudderless ship going no where.   Our contunual poor form top of the league or not is becoming the norm and rather stand by hoping things get better id much rather address the issue before rot really sets in.   Last season was great all round but the opposition were  poor,  but as you said, you can only beat whats infront of you..   And thats the problem with our league.  Its no gauge of how good a team you are.   Europe is our gauge and this season we have struggled badly.   Everything that stevie g has achieved over the last three seasons will mean nothing if we continue in the current vein of form.  I dont want that to happen.   The east end scrotes had the opportunity to leave us in therir wake while we made it back up through the divisions and blew it and the boot is on the other foot.   Lets not hand it back to them.

7 hours ago, gisabeer said:

Im a big believer in the manner in how you win dictates how good a team you are.  Right now we struggle to beat anyone.  Dundee could have put 4 or 5 past us on Saturday and that alarms me.  Ive not seen a performance like that since pedro was manager.  One thing you can say over the last three seasons about Rangers under Gerrard is that you could see the game plan and that we were constantly getting better even during the first two seasons when we didnt win the league.   I could see the plan on the park and you could see the direction we were going in.  Now?   We look like a rudderless ship going no where.   Our contunual poor form top of the league or not is becoming the norm and rather stand by hoping things get better id much rather address the issue before rot really sets in.   Last season was great all round but the opposition were  poor,  but as you said, you can only beat whats infront of you..   And thats the problem with our league.  Its no gauge of how good a team you are.   Europe is our gauge and this season we have struggled badly.   Everything that stevie g has achieved over the last three seasons will mean nothing if we continue in the current vein of form.  I dont want that to happen.   The east end scrotes had the opportunity to leave us in therir wake while we made it back up through the divisions and blew it and the boot is on the other foot.   Lets not hand it back to them.

There were performances lime yesterday last season  - the 1-1 draw at Hamilton being one that instantly springs to mind where Greegs saved us from a heavy and embarrassing defeat. 

Historically all successful teams have a "sticky patch" during the season where they "scrape" results whilst playing below par. Again just thinking back toast season we had a couple of patches where our performances dipped and we managed to scrape results. These were masked by the overall brilliant performances and winning the league at a canter. 

Way to early to panic, this is hopefully just a dip early in the season and ince we get settled team on the pitch we'll improve.

20 hours ago, CammyF said:

I've been lucky that I've seen many Rangers teams winning league titles, none and I repeat none played outstanding football every game. I remember the panttwetting on here when we dropped points at Hamilton, Motherwell, Livi, Hibs et-al last season. ALL succesfull Rangers teams Ive been lucky to have seen have struggled at certain times through the season, and most got their arses handed to them in Europe (a few notable exceptions).

Yeah, true enough. Objectivity is often lost, not least after a dire game or two. The old stereotype that the season is a marathon needs to be remembered, but we all know that sometimes recent "failure" or shortcomings is hard to take and the best way to let of some steam is pounding it into a fan board, if the local pub is far or houses no Bears to speak to. 

Then again, even with the above in mind, if something is awry, it needs to be pointed out. ->

As for formations, tactics, players positions, I'll trust SG, Macca and their staff to sort things out. As long as we still sit atop the SPFL and the end of the season, I for one will be a happy Bear and will have forgotten about a shit game at Dens Park (or wherever our next shit game is). 

... for as long as we win and are top of the league - not least come the end of the season -  all is fine and well, despite a few fists being clenched along the way. Yet, the stuff we saw this season is not not new and has cost us ANY of the SG seasons before, ANY silverware bar that one (massive) title. Same tactics, same players (on or off form), hardly any tactical changes etc.. We far too often rely on one chap doing the super-skill stuff or providing a spark every now and then, instead of using the squad properly or changing formations against different opposition. That`s obviously my humble opinion. And no matter who is in charge at the club, or the odd "freak" result that cost us a cup game ... the stark reality is that we have fallen somewhat short of expectations in terms of trophies, not least when the Scum was out of the equation. That is also part of being objective. My gut feeling says that SG and Co. will persist with their formation and tactics, perhaps add a different player here and there ... and hope for the best.